Northern Forest Science and Applications
We conduct research to understand ecological processes in terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems of the northern forest, determining impacts of change on these ecosystems, and providing a scientific basis for managing ecosystems for long-term sustainability. Ecosystems of the northeastern and north central United States provide numerous services, including clean air and water, forest products, wildlife and fish habitat, and recreation opportunities. In turn, management to provide these services affects ecosystem processes.
Challenges include understanding how ecosystems change in response to natural and human-caused disturbances and developing and evaluating management systems that provide ecosystem services while adapting to change. We aim to discover new ecological knowledge that land managers can use as they develop strategies for meeting the increasing demands on forest ecosystems and sustaining the many environmental services that people expect (and need) from forests.
- Adler, Peter B.; Bradford, John B.; Chalfoun, Anna ; Chambers, Jeanne C.; DeCrappeo, Nicole ; Evans, Jeffrey S.; Finn, Sean P.; Fleishman, Erica ; Germino, Matthew J.; Griffin, Kathleen ; Jackson, Steven T.; O’Donnell, Michael S.; O’Malley, Robin ; Oyler-McCance, Sara J.; Prendeville, Holly R.; Skone, Brandi ; Svancara, Leona K.; Turner, Lee 2021. Climate adaptation [Chapter L.]. In: Remington, Thomas E.; Deibert, Patricia A.; Hanser, Steven E.; Davis, Dawn M.; Robb, Leslie A.; Welty, Justin L. Sagebrush conservation strategy - Challenges to sagebrush conservation. Open-File Report 2020-1125. Reston, VA: U.S. Geological Survey. p. 121-137. https://doi.org/10.3133/ofr20201125.
- Sebestyen, Stephen D.; Lany, Nina K.; Roman, Daniel Tyler; Burdick, Jacob M.; Kyllander, Richard L.; Verry, Elon Sandy; Kolka, Randall K. 2021. Hydrological and meteorological data from research catchments at the Marcell Experimental Forest, Minnesota, USA. Hydrological Processes
- Friesen, Hannah C.; Slesak, Robert A.; Karwan, Diana L.; Kolka, Randall K. 2021. Effects of snow and climate on soil temperature and frost development in forested peatlands in Minnesota, USA. Geoderma. 394(1): 1-12.
- Sebestyen, Stephen D.; Funke, Meghan ; Cotner, James B. 2021. Sources and biodegradability of dissolved organic matter in two headwater peatland catchments at the Marcell Experimental Forest, northern Minnesota, USA. Hydrological Processes
- McEachran, Zachary P.; Karwan, Diana L.; Sebestyen, Stephen D.; Slesak, Robert A.; Ng, Gene-Hua Crystal. 2021. Nonstationary flood-frequency analysis to assess effects of harvest and cover type conversion on peak flows at the Marcell Experimental Forest, Minnesota, USA. Journal of Hydrology