Northern Forest Science and Applications
We conduct research to understand ecological processes in terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems of the northern forest, determining impacts of change on these ecosystems, and providing a scientific basis for managing ecosystems for long-term sustainability. Ecosystems of the northeastern and north central United States provide numerous services, including clean air and water, forest products, wildlife and fish habitat, and recreation opportunities. In turn, management to provide these services affects ecosystem processes.
Challenges include understanding how ecosystems change in response to natural and human-caused disturbances and developing and evaluating management systems that provide ecosystem services while adapting to change. We aim to discover new ecological knowledge that land managers can use as they develop strategies for meeting the increasing demands on forest ecosystems and sustaining the many environmental services that people expect (and need) from forests.
- Kolb, Thomas E.; Flathers, Kelsey ; Bradford, John B.; Andrews, Caitlin ; Asherin, Lance A.; Moser, W. Keith 2020. Stand density, drought and herbivory constrain ponderosa pine regeneration pulse. Canadian Journal of Forest Research. doi: 10.1139/cjfr-2019-0248.
- Toczydlowski, Alan J.Z.; Slesak, Robert A.; Kolka, Randall K.; Venterea, Rodney T. 2020. Temperature and water-level effects on greenhouse gas fluxes from black ash (Fraxinus nigra) wetland soils in the Upper Great Lakes region, USA. Applied Soil Ecology
- Fahey, Robert T.; Atkins, Jeff W.; Campbell, John L.; Rustad, Lindsey E.; Duffy, Meghan ; Driscoll, Charles T.; Fahey, Timothy J.; Schaberg, Paul G. 2020. Effects of an experimental ice storm on forest canopy structure. Canadian Journal of Forest Research
- Sirota, Jennie I; Kolka, Randall K.; Sebestyen, Stephen D.; Nater, Edward A. 2020. Mercury dynamics in the pore water of peat columns during experimental freezing and thawing. Journal of Environmental Quality
- Borgogno Mondino, Enrico ; Fissore, Vanina ; Falkowski, Michael J.; Palik, Brian 2020. How far can we trust forestry estimates from low-density LiDAR acquisitions? The Cutfoot Sioux experimental forest (MN, USA) case study. International Journal of Remote Sensing