Northern Forest Science and Applications
We conduct research to understand ecological processes in terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems of the northern forest, determining impacts of change on these ecosystems, and providing a scientific basis for managing ecosystems for long-term sustainability. Ecosystems of the northeastern and north central United States provide numerous services, including clean air and water, forest products, wildlife and fish habitat, and recreation opportunities. In turn, management to provide these services affects ecosystem processes.
Challenges include understanding how ecosystems change in response to natural and human-caused disturbances and developing and evaluating management systems that provide ecosystem services while adapting to change. We aim to discover new ecological knowledge that land managers can use as they develop strategies for meeting the increasing demands on forest ecosystems and sustaining the many environmental services that people expect (and need) from forests.
- Campbell, John L.; Rustad, Lindsey E.; Driscoll, Charles T.; Halm, Ian ; Fahey, Timothy J.; Fakhraei, Habibollah ; Groffman, Peter M.; Hawley, Gary J.; Leuenberger, Wendy ; Schaberg, Paul G. 2020. Simulating Impacts of Ice Storms on Forest Ecosystems. Journal of Visualized Experiments
- See, Craig R.; Green, Mark B.; Yanai, Ruth D.; Bailey, Amey S.; Campbell, John L.; Hayward, Jeremy 2020. Quantifying uncertainty in annual runoff due to missing data. PeerJ
- Hanson, Paul J.; Griffiths, Natalie A.; Iversen, Colleen M.; Norby, Richard J.; Sebestyen, Stephen D.; Phillips, Jana R.; Chanton, Jeffrey P.; Kolka, Randall K.; Malhotra, Avni ; Oleheiser, Keith C.; Warren, Jeffrey M.; Shi, Xiaoying ; Yang, Xiaojuan ; Mao, Jiafu ; Ricciuto, Daniel M. 2020. Rapid Net Carbon Loss From a Whole?Ecosystem Warmed Peatland. AGU Advances
- Pontius, Jennifer ; Schaberg, Paul ; Hanavan, Ryan 2020. Remote sensing for early, detailed, and accurate detection of forest disturbance and decline for protection of biodiversity. In: Cavender-Bares, Jeannine; Gamon, John; Townsend, Philip, eds. Remote Sensing of Plant Biodiversity. New York, NY: Springer: 121-154.
- Kabrick, John M.; Clark, Kenneth L.; D'Amato, Anthony W.; Delgado, Bethany L. Mu?oz; Dey, Daniel C.; Kenefic, Laura S.; Kern, Christel C.; Keyser, Tara L.; Knapp, Benjamin O.; MacLean, David A.; Raymond, Patricia ; Schweitzer, Callie J.; Vickers, Lance A. 2020. Research and management partnerships for resolving regeneration and recruitment challenges in hardwood-softwood mixtures in eastern North America. In: Pile, Lauren S.; Deal, Robert L.; Dey, Daniel C.; Gwaze, David; Kabrick, John M.; Palik, Brian J.; Schuler, Thomas M., comps. The 2019 National Silviculture Workshop: a focus on forest management-research partnerships. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-193. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 129-140.