Northern Forest Science and Applications
We conduct research to understand ecological processes in terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems of the northern forest, determining impacts of change on these ecosystems, and providing a scientific basis for managing ecosystems for long-term sustainability. Ecosystems of the northeastern and north central United States provide numerous services, including clean air and water, forest products, wildlife and fish habitat, and recreation opportunities. In turn, management to provide these services affects ecosystem processes.
Challenges include understanding how ecosystems change in response to natural and human-caused disturbances and developing and evaluating management systems that provide ecosystem services while adapting to change. We aim to discover new ecological knowledge that land managers can use as they develop strategies for meeting the increasing demands on forest ecosystems and sustaining the many environmental services that people expect (and need) from forests.
- Stambaugh, Michael C.; Abadir, Erin R.; Marschall, Joseph M.; Guyette, Richard P.; Palik, Brian ; Dey, Daniel C. 2021. Red pine (Pinus resinosa Ait.) fire history and management implications in the Mississippi River headwaters, Minnesota, USA. Forest Ecology and Management
- Stockstad, Anna ; Gray, Ella ; Sebestyen, Stephen ; Lany, Nina ; Kolka, Randall ; Windmuller-Campione, Marcella 2021. Analyzing Trends in Water Table Elevations at the Marcell Experimental Forest, Minnesota, U.S.A.. American Journal of Undergraduate Research
- McCarter, Colin P. R.; Sebestyen, Stephen D.; Eggert, Susan L.; Kolka, Randall K.; Mitchell, Carl P. J. 2021. Differential subsurface mobilization of ambient mercury and isotopically enriched mercury tracers in a harvested and residue harvested hardwood forest in northern Minnesota. Biogeochemistry
- Curtinrich, Holly J.; Sebestyen, Stephen D.; Griffiths, Natalie A.; Hall, Steven J. 2021. Warming Stimulates Iron-Mediated Carbon and Nutrient Cycling in Mineral-Poor Peatlands. Ecosystems
- Spiller, Kimberly J.; King, David I 2021. Breeding habitat associations of eastern whip-poor-wills in managed forests. The Journal of Wildlife Management. 8 p. https://doi.org/10.1002/jwmg.22045.