Northern Forest Science and Applications
We conduct research to understand ecological processes in terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems of the northern forest, determining impacts of change on these ecosystems, and providing a scientific basis for managing ecosystems for long-term sustainability. Ecosystems of the northeastern and north central United States provide numerous services, including clean air and water, forest products, wildlife and fish habitat, and recreation opportunities. In turn, management to provide these services affects ecosystem processes.
Challenges include understanding how ecosystems change in response to natural and human-caused disturbances and developing and evaluating management systems that provide ecosystem services while adapting to change. We aim to discover new ecological knowledge that land managers can use as they develop strategies for meeting the increasing demands on forest ecosystems and sustaining the many environmental services that people expect (and need) from forests.
- Massatti, Rob ; Shriver, Robert K.; Winkler, Daniel E.; Richardson, Bryce A.; Bradford, John B. 2020. Assessment of population genetics and climatic variability can refine climate-informed seed transfer guidelines. Restoration Ecology. 28(3): 485-493.
- Fraser, Olivia L.; Bailey, Scott W.; Ducey, Mark J.; McGuire, Kevin J. 2020. Predictive modeling of bedrock outcrops and associated shallow soil in upland glaciated landscapes. Geoderma
- Possinger, Angela R.; Bailey, Scott W.; Inagaki, Thiago M.; Kogel-Knabner, Ingrid ; Dynes, James J.; Arthur, Zachary A.; Lehmann, Johannes 2020. Organo-mineral interactions and soil carbon mineralizability with variable saturation cycle frequency. Geoderma
- Andrews, Caitlin M.; D'Amato, Anthony W.; Fraver, Shawn ; Palik, Brian ; Battaglia, Michael A.; Bradford, John B. 2020. Low stand density moderates growth declines during hot droughts in semi-arid forests. Journal of Applied Ecology. 57: 1089-1102.
- Adams, Mary Beth; Archer, Vince A.; Bailey, Scott ; McGuire, Kevin ; Miniat, Chelcy F.; Neary, Daniel G.; O?Geen, Toby ; Robichaud, Peter R.; Strobel, Michael 2020. Soils and water [Chapter 3]. In: Pouyat, Richard V.; Page-Dumroese, Deborah S.; Patel-Weynand, Toral; Geiser, Linda H., editors. 2020. Forest and rangeland soils of the United States under changing conditions: A comprehensive science synthesis. Springer, Cham. p. 33-49.