Research Work Unit NRS-04
Our Mission- to provide basic and applied knowledge about and develop methods for protecting and sustaining landscapes disturbed by invasive species and other agents.
Our Research Areas
We work on developing knowledge and methods to address the effects of invasive species and surface mining on forested and urban landscapes in the Northeast and Midwest. Our approaches include development of microbial controls and field methods for use against invasive insects; generation of hardwood trees with resistance/tolerance to invasive pathogens or insects through genetics; development of methods to use pathogen and insect resistant/tolerant hardwood tree strains to restore tree species and/or landscapes; development of controls and management methods to address invasive weeds within the urban landscape; and generation of methods to facilitate reforestation of reclaimed mine lands.
Our research and development focus areas include:
- Costilow, K.C.; Knight, Kathleen; Flower, Charles 2017. Disturbance severity and canopy position control the radial growth response of maple trees (Acer spp.) in forests of northwest Ohio impacted by emerald ash borer (Agrilus planipennis). Annals of Forest Science
- Lane, Thomas; Best, Teodora; Zembower, Nicole; Davitt, Jack; Henry, Nathan; Xu, Yi; Koch, Jennifer; Liang, Haiying; McGraw, John; Schuster, Stephan; Shim, Donghwan; Coggeshall, Mark V.; Carlson, John E.; Staton, Margaret E. 2016. The green ash transcriptome and identification of genes responding to abiotic and biotic stresses. BMC Genomics. 17(1):702.
- Flower, Charles E.; Dalton, Jennifer E.; Knight, Kathleen S.; Brikha, Marie; Gonzalez-Meler, Miquel A. 2015. To treat or not to treat: Diminishing effectiveness of emamectin benzoate tree injections in ash trees heavily infested by emerald ash borer. Urban Forestry && Urban Greening
- Adams, M.B.; Angel, P.; Barton, C.; Slavicek, J. 2015. American elm in mine land reforestation. Reclamation Matters. Fall: 34-38.
- Herms, D.A.; Cipollini, D.; Knight, K.S.; Koch, J.L.; Poland, T.M.; Rigsby, C.M.; Whitehill, J.G.A.; Bonello, P. 2015. The quest for ash resistance to emerald ash borer: Towards a mechanistic understanding. In: McManus, K.A.; Gottschalk, K.W., comps. 26th USDA interagency research forum on invasive species; 2015 January 13-16; Annapolis, MD. FHTET-2015-09. Morgantown, WV: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Health Technology Enterprise Team: 47-49.
Last Modified: 02/27/2013