Research Work Unit NRS-04
Our Mission- to provide basic and applied knowledge about and develop methods for protecting and sustaining landscapes disturbed by invasive species and other agents.
Our Research Areas
We work on developing knowledge and methods to address the effects of invasive species and surface mining on forested and urban landscapes in the Northeast and Midwest. Our approaches include development of microbial controls and field methods for use against invasive insects; generation of hardwood trees with resistance/tolerance to invasive pathogens or insects through genetics; development of methods to use pathogen and insect resistant/tolerant hardwood tree strains to restore tree species and/or landscapes; development of controls and management methods to address invasive weeds within the urban landscape; and generation of methods to facilitate reforestation of reclaimed mine lands.
Our research and development focus areas include:
- Royo, Alejandro A.; Pinchot, Cornelia C.; Stanovick, John S.; Stout, Susan L. 2019. Timing is Not Everything: Assessing the Efficacy of Pre- Versus Post-Harvest Herbicide Applications in Mitigating the Burgeoning Birch Phenomenon in Regenerating Hardwood Stands. Forests
- Morgan, Quinn ; Johnstone-Yellin, Tamara L.; Pinchot, Cornelia C.; Peters, Matthew ; Royo, Alejandro A. 2019. Partitioning and predicting forage biomass from total aboveground biomass of regenerating tree species using dimensional analyses. Canadian Journal of Forest Research
- Pinchot, Cornelia ; Hall, Thomas ; Saxton, Arnold ; Schlarbaum, Scott ; Bailey, James 2018. Effects of Seedling Quality and Family on Performance of Northern Red Oak Seedlings on a Xeric Upland Site. Forests
- Flower, Charles E.; Lynch, Douglas J.; Knight, Kathleen S.; Gonzalez-Meler, Miquel A. 2018. Biotic and Abiotic Drivers of Sap Flux in Mature Green Ash Trees (Fraxinus pennsylvanica) Experiencing Varying Levels of Emerald Ash Borer (Agrilus planipennis) Infestation. Forests
- Flower, Charles; Fant, Jeremie; Hoban, Sean; Knight, Kathleen; Steger, Laura; Aubihl, Elijah; Gonzalez-Meler, Miquel; Forry, Stephen; Hille, Andrea; Royo, Alejandro 2018. Optimizing conservation strategies for a threatened tree species: In situ conservation of white ash (Fraxinus americana L.) genetic diversity through insecticide treatment. Forests
Last Modified: 02/27/2013