Research Work Unit NRS-04
Our Mission- to provide basic and applied knowledge about and develop methods for protecting and sustaining landscapes disturbed by invasive species and other agents.
Our Research Areas
We work on developing knowledge and methods to address the effects of invasive species and surface mining on forested and urban landscapes in the Northeast and Midwest. Our approaches include development of microbial controls and field methods for use against invasive insects; generation of hardwood trees with resistance/tolerance to invasive pathogens or insects through genetics; development of methods to use pathogen and insect resistant/tolerant hardwood tree strains to restore tree species and/or landscapes; development of controls and management methods to address invasive weeds within the urban landscape; and generation of methods to facilitate reforestation of reclaimed mine lands.
Our research and development focus areas include:
- Kasianov, Nikita S.; Belousova, Irina A.; Pavlushin, Sergey V.; Dubovskiy, Ivan M.; Podgwaite, John D.; Martemyanov, Vyacheslav V.; Bakhvalov, Stanislav A.; Ling, Erjun. 2017. The activity of phenoloxidase in haemolymph plasma is not a predictor of Lymantria dispar resistance to its baculovirus. PLOS ONE. 12(8): e0183940. 16 p.
- Martemyanov, V.V.; Podgwaite, J.D.; Belousova, I.A.; Pavlushin, S.V.; Slavicek, J.M.; Baturina, O.A.; Kabilov, M.R.; Ilyinykh, A.V. 2017. A comparison of the adaptations of strains of Lymantria dispar multiple nucleopolyhedrovirus to hosts from spatially isolated populations. Journal of Invertebrate Pathology
- Pinchot, Cornelia C.; Knight, Kathleen S.; Haugen, Linda M.; Flower, Charles E.; Slavicek, James M. eds. 2017. Proceedings of the American elm restoration workshop 2016. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-174. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 148 p.
- Sniezko, Richard A.; Koch, Jennifer 2017. Breeding trees resistant to insects and diseases: putting theory into application. Biological Invasions
- Calic, Irina; Koch, Jennifer; Carey, David; Addo-Quaye, Charles; Carlson, John E.; Neale, David B. 2017. Genome-wide association study identifies a major gene for beech bark disease resistance in American beech (Fagus grandifolia Ehrh.). BMC Genomics
Last Modified: 02/27/2013