Biological and Environmental Influences on Forest Health and Productivity
Research Work Unit NRS-10
Our Research Mission
To develop strategies and tools to assess, protect, and improve forest health and productivity based on an improved understanding of tree and forest function.
Our Research Areas
Invasive Species - Forests are threatened by the introduction, establishment, spread, and impact of invasive species, particularly in the northern U.S.
Forest Fungi - Forest management for productivity and carbon sequestration is limited by an inadequate understanding of the critical roles of forest fungi in pathology, biodiversity, tree nutrition, and biogeochemistry.
Physiological Responses of Trees to Environmental Stress. - Forest health and productivity are threatened by an inadequate understanding of key physiological responses of trees to environmental stress.
Our Latest Products
- Wray, Amy K.; Peery, M. Zachariah; Jusino, Michelle A.; Kochanski, Jade M.; Banik, Mark T.; Palmer, Jonathan M.; Lindner, Daniel L.; Gratton, Claudio 2020. Predator preferences shape the diets of arthropodivorous bats more than quantitative local prey abundance. Molecular Ecology
- Yemshanov, Denys ; Haight, Robert G.; MacQuarrie, Chris J. K.; Koch, Frank H.; Liu, Ning ; Venette, Robert ; Ryall, Krista 2020. Optimal planning of multi-day invasive species surveillance campaigns. Ecological Solutions and Evidence
- Rustad, Lindsey E.; Campbell, John L.; Driscoll, Charles T.; Fahey, Timothy J.; Groffman, Peter M.; Schaberg, Paul G.; Hawley, Gary J.; Halm, Ian ; Bowles, Frank ; Leuenberger, Wendy ; Schwaner, Geoffrey ; Winant, Gabriel ; Leonardi, Brendan 2020. Experimental approach and initial forest response to a simulated ice storm experiment in a northern hardwood forest. PLOS ONE
- Zaiats, Andrii ; Lazarus, Brynne E.; Germino, Matthew J.; Serpe, Marcelo D.; Richardson, Bryce A.; Buerki, Sven ; Caughlin, T. Trevor. 2020. Intraspecific variation in surface water uptake in a perennial desert shrub. Functional Ecology. 34(6): 1170-1179.
- Stern, Rebecca L.; Schaberg, Paul G.; Rayback, Shelly A.; Murakami, Paula F.; Hansen, Christopher F.; Hawley, Gary J. 2020. Growth of canopy red oak near its northern range limit: current trends, potential drivers, and implications for the future. Canadian Journal of Forest Research
Last Modified: 01/25/2011