Santo Domingo STEW-MAP
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
The Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic STEW-MAP was launched in 2017 as part of a multi-agency agreement between the USAID Dominican Republic and the USDA Forest Service’s Urban Field Station hosted by the International Institute of Tropical Forestry and located in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Of the initial sample of 55 civic groups/organizations, 23 completed the survey (42% response rate). The majority of the organizations surveyed have a formal designation as a non-profit organization (70%) while the other 30% identified as an informal community group or “junta de vecinos.” Most of the organizations surveyed were founded within the past 30 years and work on topics related to environmental conservation, education, community work, youth programs, art and cultural activities, and maintenance or improvements to urban infrastructure.
The main motivations for conducting environmental stewardship work include:
- to improve environmental conditions for public health outcomes (reduce or eliminate disease related to poor water quality and waste disposal practices)
- to fill a gap or augment the environmental-related work of government institutions in their communities;
- to provide environmental education related to sustainability and the benefits of nature.
Initial analysis of the social networks revealed eighty different organizations mentioned by the groups surveyed that they collaborate with in environmental stewardship work Santo Domingo. Most of the groups mentioned were non-profits (41%) and community-based groups (31%). We are currently in the final stages of data analysis and preparation of a final report and manuscript. We are working with the USAID to identify specific actions for outreach and knowledge dissemination to local agencies and groups on how they can use STEWMAP results to support and expand partnerships and capacities for stewardship in Santo Domingo.
The information gathered from the Santo Domingo STEW-MAP will be useful to city urban and environmental planners to ascertain where, how and when community efforts to plant street trees, planter beds, lots, greenways, parks, and forests is occurring in Santo Domingo. This information can also be used by international agencies and organizations, such as the USAID, to identify future partnerships and collaborations, catalyze on-the-ground environmental stewardship projects, and build local capacity to improve environmental outcomes.
News, Events, and More
- December 20, 2020, Nature of Cities
- December 1, 2020, Nature of Cities
- September 24, 2020, The Nature of Cities Blog
- Research Tool for Visualizing and Understanding the Nature of Stewardship Becomes Art in New ExhibitSeptember 10, 2020, USDA Forest Service Northern Research Station News Release
- June 24, 2020, ReGreen Springfield
- June 24, 2020, The Nature of Cities blog
- April 1, 2020, Bridger-Teton National Forest
- STEW-MAP in the New York City region: survey results of the Stewardship Mapping and Assessment Project June, 2019
- A Social-ecological framework for urban stewardship network research to promote sustainable and resilient cities June 9, 2017
- Toward an understanding of citywide urban environmental governance: An examination of stewardship networks in Baltimore and Seattle September 9, 2016
- Recognizing Stewardship Practices as Indicators of Social Resilience: In Living Memorials and in a Community Garden August 12, 2016
- Stewardship mapping and assessment project: a framework for understanding community-based environmental stewardship February 25, 2016
- Mixed methods analysis of urban environmental stewardship networks August 31, 2015