Kane Experimental Forest
- Download PDF (5064485)
- This publication is available only online.
The 1,737 acres of forest land that comprise the Kane Experimental Forest (KEF), were originally part of the Allegheny National Forest. On March 23, 1932, the land was formally dedicated to research use for the Allegheny Forest Experiment Station (now the Northeastern Research Station). The KEF was established to promote the study of the unglaciated portion of the beech-birch-maplehemlock forest type that made up such a large part of the Station?s territory. Today, the Experimental Forest serves as the field laboratory for the research project ?Understanding and Managing Forest Ecosystems of the Allegheny Plateau Region,? which is headquartered at the Forestry Sciences Laboratory in Irvine, Pennsylvania.
Northeastern Research Station 1999. Kane Experimental Forest. null