Publication Details

Integrating airborne laser scanning data, space-borne radar data and digital aerial imagery to estimate aboveground carbon stock in Hyrcanian forests, Iran

Publication Toolbox

  • Download PDF (1.0 MB)
  • This publication is available only online.
Poorazimy, Maryam ; Shataee, Shaban ; McRoberts, Ronald E.; Mohammadi, Jahangir

Year Published

2020

Publication

Remote Sensing of Environment

Abstract

A framework for estimating aboveground forest carbon stock (AFCS) is required for measurement, reporting, and verification (MRV) systems under the United Nations Collaborative Program on Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation (REDD) in Developing Countries. Recently, methods for estimating the spatial distribution of AFCS using remotely sensed datasets and multiple prediction techniques have been found to be useful, particularly given the prohibitive costs of acquiring the necessary sample sizes for sufficiently precise pure field-based estimation of this variable. The objective of the study was to assess and compare the capabilities of airborne laser scanning (ALS) data, L-band radar data and UltraCam images in combination with four commonly used prediction techniques for estimating mean AFCS per unit area: multiple linear regression (MLR) and the nonparametric k-Nearest Neighbors (k-NN), support vector regression (SVR), and random forest (RF) algorithms. Our study area was a part of Hyrcanian deciduous forests in two managed and unmanaged stands at Shast Kalateh forest. We used a systematic sample consisting of 308 circular field plots of 0.1 ha located at the intersections of a 150 × 200 m grid with a random starting point and remote sensing-derived metrics as auxiliary data. We used 67% of the sample plots for training purposes and the remaining 33% for validation. Also, we used the model-assisted estimators to statistically rigorously estimate mean AFCS per unit area and its standard error (SE).

Citation

Poorazimy, Maryam; Shataee, Shaban; McRoberts, Ronald E.; Mohammadi, Jahangir. 2020. Integrating airborne laser scanning data, space-borne radar data and digital aerial imagery to estimate aboveground carbon stock in Hyrcanian forests, Iran. Remote Sensing of Environment. 240: 111669-. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2020.111669.

Last updated on: October 2, 2020