Publication Details

Field trip on the Kellogg Forest of Michigan State University near Augusta, Michigan

Publication Toolbox

  • Download PDF (386683)
  • This publication is available only online.
Wright, Jonathan W.; Lemmien, Walter

Year Published

1966

Publication

In: Joint Proceedings of the Second Genetics Workshop of the Society of American Foresters and the Seventh Lake States Forest Tree Improvement Conference; Res. Pap. NC-6. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station. 104-106

Abstract

When the Kellogg Forest was established in 1932, 90 percent of the farmland in the locality was idle. The original tree cover had been oak-hickory on the upland areas and basswood, white ash, American elm, and black cherry on the lower, more fertile areas. Agricultural activities had begun between 1830 and 1850. Since then, continued cropping had resulted in severe erosion and eventual abandonment of most of the farms.

Note: This article is part of a larger document. View the larger document

Citation

Wright, Jonathan W.; Lemmien, Walter. 1966. Field trip on the Kellogg Forest of Michigan State University near Augusta, Michigan. In: Joint Proceedings of the Second Genetics Workshop of the Society of American Foresters and the Seventh Lake States Forest Tree Improvement Conference; Res. Pap. NC-6. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Forest Experiment Station. 104-106

Last updated on: August 11, 2006