Scientists & Staff
Featured Publications & Products
- Mohapatra, Sridev; Minocha, Rakesh; Long, Stephanie; Minocha, Subhash C. 2010. Transgenic manipulation of a single polyamine in poplar cells affects the accumulation of all amino acids. Amino Acids. 38: 1117-1129.
- Minocha, Rakesh; Long, Stephanie; Minocha, Subhash; Marquardt, Paula; Nelson, Neil; Kubiske, Mark. 2010. Effects of long-term (10 years) exposure to elevated CO2 and O3 on trembling Aspen carbon and nitrogen metabolism at the aspen FACE (Free-Air Carbon Dioxide Enrichment) study site. In: Joint annual meetings of the American Society of Plant Biologists and the Canadian Society of Plant Physiologists; 2010 July 31- Aug 4; Montreal, Canada: Plant Biology 377. Poster Abstract.
- Minocha, R.; Long, S.; Minocha, S.; Marquardt, P; Kubiske, M. 2010. Effects of long-term (10 years) exposure to elevated CO2 and O3 on trembling Aspen carbon and nitrogen metabolism at the aspen FACE (Free-Air Carbon Dioxide Enrichment) study site [Abstract]. In: 95th Ecological Society of America annual meeting; 2010 August 1-6; Pittsburg, PA. Abstract.
- Mohapatra, Sridev; Minocha, Rakesh; Long, Stephanie. 2009. Putrescine overproduction negatively impacts the oxidative state of poplar cells in culture. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 47: 262-271.
- Minocha, Rakesh; Martinez, Gabriela; Lyons, Benjamin; Long, Stephanie. 2009. Development of a standardized methodology for quantifying total chlorophyll and carotenoids from foliage of hardwood and conifer tree species. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 39:849-861
Publications & Products
- Majumdar, Rajtilak ; Minocha, Rakesh ; Lebar, Matthew D.; Rajasekaran, Kanniah ; Long, Stephanie ; Carter-Wientjes, Carol ; Minocha, Subhash ; Cary, Jeffrey W. 2019. Contribution of Maize Polyamine and Amino Acid Metabolism Toward Resistance Against Aspergillus flavus Infection and Aflatoxin Production. Frontiers in Plant Science
- Pinchot, C.C.; Flower, C.E.; Knight, K.S.; Marks, C.; Minocha, R.; Lesser, D.; Woeste, K.; Schaberg, P.G.; Baldwin, B.; Delatte, D.M.; Fox, T.D.; Hayes-Plazolles, N.; Held, B.; Lehtoma, K.; Long, S.; Mattix, S.; Sipes, A.; Slavicek, J.M. 2017. Development of new Dutch Elm disease-tolerant selections for restoration of the American Elm in urban and forested landscapes. In: Sniezko, Richard A.; Man, Gary; Hipkins, Valerie; Woeste, Keith; Gwaze, David; Kliejunas, John T.; McTeague, Brianna A., tech. cords. 2017. Gene conservation of tree species—banking on the future. Proceedings of a workshop. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-963. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station: 53-63.
- Ma, Chuanxin; Chhikara, Sudesh; Minocha, Rakesh; Long, Stephanie; Musante, Craig; White, Jason C.; Xing, Baoshan; Dhankher, Om Parkash. 2015. Reduced Silver Nanoparticle Phytotoxicity in Crambe abyssinica with Enhanced Glutathione Production by Overexpressing Bacterial y-Glutamylcysteine Synthase. Environmental Science & Technology
- Minocha, Rakesh ; Turlapati, Swathi A.; Long, Stephanie ; McDowell, William H.; Minocha, Subhash C. 2015. Long-term trends of changes in pine and oak foliar nitrogen metabolism in response to chronic nitrogen amendments at Harvard Forest, MA. Tree Physiology
- Minocha, Rakesh; Chamberlain, Bradley; Long, Stephanie; Turlapati, Swathi A.; Quigley, Gloria. 2015. Extraction and estimation of the quantity of calcium oxalate crystals in the foliage of conifer and hardwood trees. Tree Physiology. 35(5): 574-580.
- Turlapati, Swathi A.; Minocha, Rakesh; Long, Stephanie; Ramsdell, Jordan; Minocha, Subhash C. 2015. Oligotyping reveals stronger relationship of organic soil bacterial community structure with N-amendments and soil chemistry in comparison to that of mineral soil at Harvard Forest, MA, USA. Frontiers in Microbiology. 6: 49.
- Majumdar, Rajtilak; Shao, Lin; Minocha, Rakesh; Long, Stephanie; Minocha, Subhash C. 2013. Ornithine: the overlooked molecule in the regulation of polyamine metabolism. Plant & Cell Physiology. 54(6): 990-1004.[with supplementary document].
- Minocha, Rakesh; Turlapati, Swathi A.; Long, Stephanie; North, Malcolm. 2013. Fuel treatment effects on soil chemistry and foliar physiology of three coniferous species at the Teakettle Experimental Forest, California, USA. Trees. 27: 1101-1113.
- Puckett, Emily E.; Serpiglia, Michelle J.; DeLeon, Alyssa M.; Long, Stephanie; Minocha, Rakesh; Smart, Lawrence B. 2012. Differential expression of genes encoding phosphate transporters contributes to arsenic accumulation in shrub willow (Salix spp.). Environmental and Experimental Botany. 75: 248-257.
- Bubier, Jill L.; Smith, Rose; Juutinen, Sari; Moore, Tim R.; Minocha, Rakesh; Long, Stephanie; Minocha, Subash. 2011. Effects of nutrient addition on leaf chemistry, morphology, and photosynthetic capacity of three bog shrubs. Oecologia. 167: 355-368.
- Schaberg, Paul G.; Minocha, Rakesh; Long, Stephanie; Halman, Joshua M.; Hawley, Gary J.; Eagar, Christopher. 2011. Calcium addition at the Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest increases the capacity for stress tolerance and carbon capture in red spruce (Picea rubens) trees during the cold season. Trees. 25: 1053-1061.
- Minocha, Rakesh; Long, Stephanie; Thangavel, Palaniswamy; Minocha, Subhash C.; Eagar, Christopher; Driscoll, Charles T. 2010. Elevation dependent sensitivity of northern hardwoods to Ca addition at Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest, NH USA. Forest Ecology and Management. 260: 2115-2125.
- Mohapatra, Sridev; Cherry, Smita; Minocha, Rakesh; Majumdar, Rajtilak; Thangavel, Palaniswamy; Long, Stephanie; Minocha, Subhash C. 2010. The response of high and low polyamine producing cell lines to aluminum and calcium stress. Physiology and Biochemistry. 48: 612-620.
- Minocha, Rakesh; Thangavel, P.; Dhankher, Om Parkash; Long, Stephanie. 2008. Separation and quantification of monothiols and phytochelatins from a wide variety of cell cultures and tissues of trees and other plants using high performance liquid chromatography. Journal of Chromatography A. 1207: 72-83.
- Thangavel, P.; Long, Stephanie; Minocha, Rakesh. 2007. Changes in phytochelatins and their biosynthetic intermediates in red spruce (Picea rubens Sarg.) cell suspension cultures under cadmium and zinc stress. Plant Cell Tissue Organ Culture. 88: 201-216.
- Bauer, G.A.; Bazzaz, F.A.; Minocha, R.; Long, S.; Magill, A.; Aber, J.; Berntson, G.M. 2004. Effects of chronic N additions on tissue chemistry, photosynthetic capacity, and carbon sequestration potential of a red pine (Pinus resinosa Ait.) stand in the NE United States. Forest Ecology and Management. 196: 173?186.
- Minocha, Rakesh; Lee, Jae Soon; Long, Stephanie; Bhatnagar, Pratiksha; Minocha, Subhash C. 2004. Physiological responses of wild type and putrescine-overproducing transgenic cells of poplar to variations in the form and concentration of nitrogen in the medium. Tree Physiology. 24: 551-560.
- Minocha, Rakesh; Long, Stephanie. 2004. Effects of aluminum on organic acid metabolism and secretion by red spruce cell suspension cultures and the reversal of Al effects on growth and polyamine metabolism by exogenous organic acids. Tree Physiology. 24: 55-64.
- Minocha, Rakesh; Long, Stephanie. 2004. Simultaneous separation and quantitation of amino acids and polyamines of forest tree tissues and cell cultures within a single high-performance liquid chromatography run using dansyl derivatization. Journal of Chromatography A. 1035: 63-73.
- Minocha, Rakesh; Minocha, Subhash C.; Long, Stephanie. 2004. Polyamines and their biosynthetic enzymes during somatic embryo development in red spruce (Picea rubens Sarg.). In Vitro Cell. Dev. Biol.-Plant 40:572-580
- Minocha, R.; Minocha, S.C.; Long, S. 2003. Monitoring environmental stress in forest trees using biochemical and physiological markers. In: Espinel, S.; Barredo, Y.; Ritter, E., eds. Sustainable forestry, wood products, and biotechnology. Victoria-Gasteiz, Spain: DFA-AFA Press: 109-116.
- Bhatnagar, Pratiksha; Glasheen, Bernadette M.; Bains, Suneet K.; Long, Stephanie L.; Minocha, Rakesh; Walter, Christian; Minocha, Subhash C. 2001. Transgenic manipulation of the metabolism of polyamines in poplar cells. Plant Physiology. 125: 2139-2153.
- Minocha, Rakesh; McQuattie, Carolyn; Fagerberg, Wayne; Long, Stephanie; Noh, Eun Woon. 2001. Effects of aluminum in red spruce (Picea rubens) cell cultures: Cell growth and viability, mitochondrial activity, ultrastructure and potential sites of intracellular aluminum accumulation. Physiologia Plantarum. 113: 486-498.
- Minocha, Rakesh; Long, Stephanie; Magill, Alison H.; Aber, John; McDowell, William H. 2000. Foliar free polyamine and inorganic ion content in relation to soil and soil solution chemistry in two fertilized forest stands at the Harvard Forest, Massachusetts. Plant and Soil. 222: 119-137.
- Minocha, Rakesh; Long, Stephanie; Maki, Hisae; Minocha, Subhash C. 1999. Assays for the activities of polyamine biosynthetic enzymes using intact tissues. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry. 37: 597-603.
- Minocha, Rakesh; Minocha, Subhash C.; Long, Stephanie L.; Shortle, Walter C. 1992. Effects of aluminum on DNA synthesis, cellular polyamines, polyamine biosynthetic enzymes and inorganic ions in cell suspension cultures of a woody plant, Catharanthus roseus. Physiologia Plantarum. 85: 417-424.
- Minocha, Rakesh; Long, Stephanie; Turlapati, Swathi A.; Fernandez, Ivan. 2018. Dynamic species-specific metabolic changes in the trees exposed to chronic N+S additions at the Bear Brook Watershed in Maine, USA. Fort Collins, CO: Forest Service Research Data Archive. https://doi.org/10.2737/RDS-2018-0058.
National Research Highlights
A multiagency and multidisciplinary investigation along the Appalachian National Scenic Trail provided an extensive dataset that filled the gaps in scientists knowledge regarding the spatial patterns of acidic deposition effects on soil, stream water, plant communities, and tree biology.