Scientists & Staff
- City Counting Down to Urban Forest InventoryJuly 7, 2017
- City Counting Down to First-ever Urban Forest InventoryJune 20, 2016
Publications & Products
- Edgar, Christopher ; Nowak, David ; Majewsky, Mark ; Lister, Tonya ; Westfall, James ; Sonti, Nancy F. 2021. Strategic National Urban Forest Inventory for the United States. Journal of Forestry
- Westfall, James A.; Nowak, David J.; Henning, Jason G.; Lister, Tonya W.; Edgar, Christopher B.; Majewsky, Mark A.; Sonti, Nancy F. 2020. Crown width models for woody plant species growing in urban areas of the U.S.. Urban Ecosystems
- Lister, Tonya; Majewsky, Mark; Hatfield, Mark A.; Rowe, Angie; Dunning, Bill; Edgar, Chris; Brandeis, Tom. 2015. The urban FIA inventory: plot design, data collection, data flow and processing. In: Stanton, Sharon M.; Christensen, Glenn A., comps. 2015. Pushing boundaries: new directions in inventory techniques and applications: Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) symposium 2015. 2015 December 8-10; Portland, Oregon. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-931. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. p. 356.
National Research Highlights
In collaboration with state and local partners, the Forest Service’s Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIS) Program has expanded urban forest monitoring to include 26 cities. FIA recently crossed a major milestone with data collection underway in more than 25 percent of the program’s proposed cities, making urban inventories active in all four national FIA units.
In collaboration with state and local partners, the U.S. Forest Service’s Forest Inventory and Analysis Program (FIA) has begun monitoring the urban forest resource with special focus on the nation’s largest cities. FIA recently completed its first urban inventory report that describes the urban forests of Austin, Texas.