Scientists & Staff
Notes: This person is no longer an employee of the Northern Research Station.
Publications & Products
- Burhans, Dirk E.; Thompson, Frank R. 2006. Songbird abundance and parasatism differ between urban and rural shrublands. Ecological Applications, 16(1), 2006, pp. 394-405
- Thompson, Frank R.; Burhans, Dirk E. 2004. Differences in predators of artificial and real songbirds nests: Evidence of bias in artificial nest studies. Conservation Biology. Volume. 18, No. 2, 2004. pp. 373-380.
- Furey, Maria A.; Burhans, Dirk E.; He, Hong; Gold, Michael A.; Cutter, Bruce E. 2003. Effect of vegetation structure on breeding territory selection by red-winged blackbirds in a floodplain forest restoration project. In: Van Sambeek, J. W.; Dawson, Jeffery O.; Ponder Jr., Felix; Loewenstein, Edward F.; Fralish, James S., eds. Proceedings of the 13th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-234. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 211-212
- Thompson, Frank R., III; Burhans, Dirk E. 2003. Predation of Songbird Nests Differs By Predator and Between Field and Forest Habitats. Journal of Wildlife Management 67(2):408-416
- Burhans, Dirk E. 2002. Conservation assessment: Henslow's Sparrow Ammodramus henslowii. Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-226. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 46 p.
- Burhans, Dirk E.; Dearborn, Donald; Thompson, Frank R. III; Faaborg, John. 2002. Factors affecting predation at songbird nests in old fields. Journal of Wildlife Management. Vol. 66, no. 1 (2002).:p.240-249.
- Pagen, Rich W.; Thompson, Frank R., III; Burhans, Dirk E. 2002. A comparison of point-count and mist-net detections of songbirds by habitat and time-of-season. Journal of Field Ornithology 73(1):53-59
- Burhans, Dirk E.; Thompson, Frank R. III. 2001. Relationship of songbird nest concealment to nest fate and flushing behavior of adults. Auk. Vol. 118, no. 1 (Jan. 2001).:p. 237-242 : ill.
- Giblin, David; Dey, Daniel C; Burhans, Dick; Kabrick, John; Root, Brian; Grabner, Jennifer; Gold, Mike. 2001. The Corner. The Glade. Vol. 4 no. 1: 1-2.
- Burhans, Dirk E. 2000. Avoiding the nest : responses of field sparrows to the threat of nest predation. Auk. Vol. 117, no. 3 (July 2000).:p. 803-806.
- Burhans, Dirk E. 2000. Morning Nest Arrivals in Cowbird Hosts: their Role in Aggression, Cowbird Recognition, and Host Response to Parasitism. Ecology and Management of Cowbirds and Their Host. p. 161-168. (2000)
- Burhans, Dirk; Thompson III, Frank R. 2000. Cost of Parasitism Incurred by Two Songbird Species and Their Quality As Cowbird Hosts1. The Condor. Vol. 102 p. 364-373. (2000)
- Dey, Daniel C.; Burhans, Dirk; Kabrick, John; Root, Brain; Grabner, Jennifer; Gold, Mike. 2000. The Missouri River Floodplain: History of Oak Forest & Current Restoration Efforts. The Glade. Vol. 3 no. 2.:p. 2-4. (2000)
- Burhans, Dick E.; Thompson III, Frank R. 1999. Habitat patch size and nesting success of yellow-breasted chats. The Wilson Bulletin. 111(2): 210-215. (1999)
Last modified: Friday, November 15, 2019