Central Appalachians Climate Change Response Framework
The Central Appalachians Climate Change Response Framework covers almost 29 million acres in Ohio, Maryland, and West Virginia, within Ecological Provinces M221 (Central Appalachian Broadleaf Forest) and 221 (Eastern Broadleaf Forest – Oceanic) of the National Hierarchical Framework of Ecological Units. Provinces are broad geographic areas that share similar coarse features, such as climate, glacial history, and vegetation types. The ecosystems within the assessment area contain some of the oldest and most biologically diverse forests in North America. Understanding and managing the impacts of climate change on the Central Appalachians’ diverse forests will help us maintain their many environmental, cultural, and economic benefits.To learn more about this project, partners and associated products, please visit forestadaptation.org
To meet the challenges posed by climate change, a team of federal and state land management agencies, private forest owners, conservation organizations and others have come together to accomplish three objectives:
- Provide a forum in which the experiences and lessons learned of those working across the Central Appalachians can be effectively and efficiently shared with all.
- Develop new user-friendly tools that can help public and private land managers to factor climate change considerations into their decision making, including a forest ecosystem vulnerability assessment and a forest adaptation resources document.
- Support efforts by public land managers, private landowners, and others to implement adaptive responses to climate change impacts in the Central Appalachians.
- Appalachian Landscape Conservation Cooperative
- Cacapon Institute
- Maryland Department of Natural Resources, Forest Service
- Monongahela National Forest
- MTU School of Forest Resources and Environmental Science
- West Virginia Natural Resources Conservation Service
- Northern Institute of Applied Climate Science
- Ohio Department of Natural Resources
- Ohio State University
- The Nature Conservancy
- USDA Forest Service Eastern Region
- USDA Forest Service Northeastern Area State and Private Forestry
- USDA Forest Service Northern Research Station
- Wayne National Forest
- West Virginia Division of Forestry
- West Virginia University
Last Modified: 01/02/2018