New York City STEW-MAP
New York City
Who takes care of New York City’s environment? The answer is all of us. Our landscapes shaped by many different institutions, groups and individuals. STEW-MAP is a data-driven tool designed to demonstrate that people can be positive agents of change in their communities. Our intent is to visualize the often ‘unseen network’ of stewardship actions throughout any given neighborhood, city, region or beyond.
STEW-MAP supports government and civic groups alike to effectively coordinate and collaborate, to identify opportunities to better engage New Yorkers in caring for the environment, and to enhance the capacity of the stewards of our communities. This tool can support civic participation, increase neighborhoods’ social cohesion, and support requests for funding and programming.
2007 NYC STEW-MAP
In 2007, research scientists from the NYC Urban Field Station created a method of assessing and mapping civic stewardship throughout New York City.
2015 NY/NJ HEP STEW-MAP
STEW-MAP was replicated for waterfront-focused stewardship groups in the New York Harbor area, in collaboration with the Hudson River Foundation /Harbor Estuary Project (HRF/HEP).
2017 NYC STEW-MAP
STEW-MAP 2017 builds upon past research, providing the first update in 10 years on previously participating groups.
News, Events, and More
- December 5, 2018, LinkedIn
- August 17, 2018, Facebook
- Resilience isn`t only about infrastructure. How can we better support community-based environmental stewardship in readiness, response, and recovery from disturbance?November 11, 2016, Nature of Cities
- February 10, 2016, ioby
- September 3, 2014, Nature of Cities
- June 28, 2013, Pop Tech
- A Social-ecological framework for urban stewardship network research to promote sustainable and resilient citiesJune 9, 2017
- Toward an understanding of citywide urban environmental governance: An examination of stewardship networks in Baltimore and SeattleSeptember 9, 2016
- Recognizing Stewardship Practices as Indicators of Social Resilience: In Living Memorials and in a Community GardenAugust 12, 2016
- Stewardship mapping and assessment project: a framework for understanding community-based environmental stewardshipFebruary 25, 2016
- Mixed methods analysis of urban environmental stewardship networksAugust 31, 2015