Northern Research Station
October Feature - TIMBER!
From your home’s floor to its rafters, forest products are embedded in daily life. In recognition of the many ways we use and value wood, our October web feature spotlights research related to timber. Our stories include a scientist interested in the aesthetic value and market potential of different wood, research on getting the most out of small logs, a product that helps forest managers plan for changes in climate and a partnership that enables states to account for trees harvested and timber produced.
2018 Research Highlights
- Loading Publications...
- Trees can do the Dirty Work of Waste Cleanup - USDA BlogAugust 30, 2019
- Podcast: London Plane Trees: More than Just the Hostas of Street Trees? - Urban Wildlife PodcastJune 25, 2019
- Warblers out of the Woods: Savanna Restoration Creates Bird Habitat - EnvirobitesMay 30, 2019
- In the Eye of the Fire - NIST Featured StoriesMay 28, 2019
- What it Takes to Bring Back the Near Mythical American Chestnut Trees - USDA BlogApril 29, 2019
- How people manage their yards can help, or not help, native wildlife - USDA Forest Service - Science StoriesApril 9, 2019
- Spending 20-minutes in nature could make you less stressed out - Yahoo! NewsApril 4, 2019
- Most California Fires Occur in Area of Wildland-urban Interface with Less Fuel and More PeopleSeptember 24, 2019
- Research Tool for Visualizing and Understanding the Nature of Stewardship Becomes Art in New ExhibitSeptember 10, 2019
- Non-native invasive insects, diseases decreasing carbon stored in U.S. forestsAugust 13, 2019
- Growing Resilient: Natural Resource Stewardship Aids in Preparing for, Recovering from DisasterMay 21, 2019
- Think the Tick Threat Grows with the Grass? Not NecessarilyApril 3, 2019
- Nitrogen Pollution's Path to Streams Weaves through More Forests (and at a Faster Pace) than SuspectedMarch 15, 2019
- More news releases...
- Who takes care of New York? A new exhibition highlights environmental stewardship in NYC - Curbed New YorkSeptember 16, 2019
- Museum show celebrates civic stewardship - Queens ChronicleSeptember 12, 2019
- How a Tiny Plant Made a Big Comeback in West Virginia - Atlas ObscuraSeptember 11, 2019
- The Role of Trees: Poor neighborhoods in Baltimore have far less tree canopy than wealthier neighborhoods - Howard Center for Investigative JournalismSeptember 1, 2019
- Hoosier National Forest Partners with American Forests for Oak Regeneration - WBIW.comAugust 28, 2019
- Rare bee discovered in Oconto County - NBC 26 Green BayAugust 22, 2019
- Study finds invasive insects are a big contributor to climate change - Minnesota Public RadioAugust 18, 2019