Northern Research Station
October Feature - Exchange Expertise Globally
Sharing knowledge and expertise across borders is vital for advancing science and finding solutions to complex natural resource problems. Northern Research Station scientists are working with colleagues internationally to stem the tide of an aggressive forest pest, mitigate the effects of invasive species, and better monitor forest conditions in developing countries. In October, we introduce a scientist with a well-worn passport and offer stories on research, a research product and a partnership that illustrate the value of exchanging scientific expertise globally.
2017 Research Highlights
Science of the Seasons
Kelly van Frankenhuyzen talks with U.S. Forest Service experts, Kevin Smith, Paul Schaberg, and Colleen Mainville about fall colors in the Northeast and the science behind the seasonal change.
Science of Fall Colors
- Loading Publications...
- Carbon Offsets for Urban Trees Are on the Horizon - CIty LabAugust 28, 2018
- City Centers Are Sweltering. Trees Could Bring Back Some of Their Cool. - Inside Climate NewsAugust 28, 2018
- The Healing Potential of Turning Vacant Lots Green - CITYLABJuly 30, 2018
- City Trees Provide Hundreds Of Millions Of Dollars In Value Each Year - Clean TechnicaJuly 12, 2018
- Research site networks - USDA Forest Service Experimental Forests & Ranges and Research Natural Areas - ESA - EARLY CAREER ECOLOGIST SECTIONApril 3, 2018
- Offsetting Housing and Environmental Stresses as Cities Expand - DSNewsMarch 26, 2018
- As cities grow, so does the need for urban trees - Mother Nature NetworkMarch 22, 2018
- Forest Service Science Improving Fire Weather PredictionSeptember 12, 2018
- Scientists Look to Trees' Genetics for Clues to Disease and Pest ResistanceAugust 1, 2018
- Tweets Prove to be Reliable Indicator of Air Quality Conditions During WildfiresJuly 26, 2018
- A Warmer Midwest Could Lead to a Common Bird Being Less Common Over the Next CenturyJuly 23, 2018
- Surprising Resurgence of Red Spruce Likely Result of Cleaner Air and Warmer WintersJune 5, 2018
- Team to Monitor Where and When Ash Trees Die on a National ForestMay 16, 2018
- More news releases...
- American cities are losing 28 million trees a year - Yale Climate ConnectionsAugust 29, 2018
- New Baltimore program aims to help communities by salvaging wood from vacant homes - NBC Nightly NewsAugust 26, 2018
- Science Says Green Space Can Enhance Mental Health - MSNAugust 21, 2018
- Fighting urban violence, one empty lot at a time - Knowable MagazineAugust 16, 2018
- How ''greening'' urban areas could improve our mental health - World Economic ForumAugust 7, 2018
- An arboreal murder mystery: What is killing beech trees? - Washington PostJuly 28, 2018
- Tracking Tweets To Forecast Smoky Skies - Science FridayJuly 27, 2018