Northern Research Station
November Feature - Foster Resilient Ecosystems
In today’s forests, land managers are confronting many challenges. Invasive species, a changing climate, removal of fire from the landscape and the stresses of urban conditions all take a toll on forest health. This month we feature a scientist, research, a product and partnership devoted to helping foster resilient ecosystems.
2017 Research Highlights
Science of the Seasons
Kelly van Frankenhuyzen talks with U.S. Forest Service experts, Kevin Smith, Paul Schaberg, and Colleen Mainville about fall colors in the Northeast and the science behind the seasonal change.
Science of Fall Colors
- Loading Publications...
- Carbon Offsets for Urban Trees Are on the Horizon - CIty LabAugust 28, 2018
- City Centers Are Sweltering. Trees Could Bring Back Some of Their Cool. - Inside Climate NewsAugust 28, 2018
- The Healing Potential of Turning Vacant Lots Green - CITYLABJuly 30, 2018
- City Trees Provide Hundreds Of Millions Of Dollars In Value Each Year - Clean TechnicaJuly 12, 2018
- Research site networks - USDA Forest Service Experimental Forests & Ranges and Research Natural Areas - ESA - EARLY CAREER ECOLOGIST SECTIONApril 3, 2018
- Offsetting Housing and Environmental Stresses as Cities Expand - DSNewsMarch 26, 2018
- As cities grow, so does the need for urban trees - Mother Nature NetworkMarch 22, 2018
- Flow of Water Cycle Data is Seen and Heard in WaterVizNovember 14, 2018
- Research May Shed Light on Controlling Catastrophic Disease of BatsOctober 30, 2018
- Forest Service Science Improving Fire Weather PredictionSeptember 12, 2018
- Scientists Look to Trees' Genetics for Clues to Disease and Pest ResistanceAugust 1, 2018
- Tweets Prove to be Reliable Indicator of Air Quality Conditions During WildfiresJuly 26, 2018
- A Warmer Midwest Could Lead to a Common Bird Being Less Common Over the Next CenturyJuly 23, 2018
- More news releases...
- American cities are losing 28 million trees a year - Yale Climate ConnectionsAugust 29, 2018
- New Baltimore program aims to help communities by salvaging wood from vacant homes - NBC Nightly NewsAugust 26, 2018
- Science Says Green Space Can Enhance Mental Health - MSNAugust 21, 2018
- Fighting urban violence, one empty lot at a time - Knowable MagazineAugust 16, 2018
- How ''greening'' urban areas could improve our mental health - World Economic ForumAugust 7, 2018
- An arboreal murder mystery: What is killing beech trees? - Washington PostJuly 28, 2018
- Tracking Tweets To Forecast Smoky Skies - Science FridayJuly 27, 2018