Northern Research Station
August Feature - In the Shade
Sunlight drives plant growth, making both light and its absence equally powerful factors in the survival of trees and understory plants. In August, the Northern Research Station’s web features shine a light on shade with stories about a scientist studying oak regeneration, research on how non-native Japanese stiltgrass is adapting to new environments, and identifying conditions favorable to a tree that almost disappeared.
Our new podcast brings you stories, interviews, and special in-depth anthologies of the science that's examining and explaining how forests affect our lives, and how we affect our forests.
2019 Research Highlights
- Loading Publications...
- Voices of Maple Nation - USDA Forest Service Tribal Relations BlogMarch 25, 2020
- Why the Trees Outside Forests Count - USDA BlogMarch 11, 2020
- After a Blight, the Trees that Survived Need Your Help - USDA BlogFebruary 25, 2020
- Seeing the Urban Forest for the Trees - Taylor Quality GuitarsJanuary 13, 2020
- A Walk in the Woods - 17 Years Later - Short Stories About Long Term ResearchNovember 19, 2019
- Trees can do the Dirty Work of Waste Cleanup - USDA BlogAugust 30, 2019
- Podcast: London Plane Trees: More than Just the Hostas of Street Trees? - Urban Wildlife PodcastJune 25, 2019
- Large Lot Program demonstrates the power of private land stewardship in addressing urban vacancyJuly 10, 2020
- Study in Philadelphia Links Growth in Tree Canopy to Decrease in Human MortalityJune 16, 2020
- Scientists identify genes tied to ash trees' resistance to emerald ash borerMay 26, 2020
- Forest Service Debuts State-by-State Statistics on Carbon as Part of National Greenhouse Gas ReportingApril 28, 2020
- Research Delivers Tool for Anticipating Effects, Benefits of River RestorationApril 14, 2020
- Across Diverse Regions, Lawn Care Practices and Motivations are SimilarNovember 13, 2019
- More news releases...
- To save the hemlock, scientists turn to genetics and natural predators - Washington PostAugust 1, 2020
- Outdoors: Working to end the nightmare on Elm Street - Toledo BladeJuly 25, 2020
- Looking For a New Hobby? Urban Foraging Is Making a Comeback - Discover MagazineJuly 23, 2020
- Helping save trees is also helping save lives - Washington PostJuly 13, 2020
- 'Revel in the grubby wilderness': how to spot nature from lockdown - The GuardianJune 25, 2020
- Project Will Map Caretakers Of Springfield's Green Spaces - WAMC Public RadioJune 24, 2020
- Trees of (Urban) Life - The Poetry of Science podcastJune 22, 2020