Northern Research Station
December Feature - Deliver Benefits to the Public
Forests are beautiful, but they are also hard-working landscapes. People benefit from forests in many ways, including through abundant and clean water, cleaner air, and shade that reduces energy use in urban areas. USDA Forest Service scientists deliver research and tools that help land managers protect these resources for present and future generations of Americans. This month’s featured scientist, research, product and partnership stories show how Forest Service science contributes to forest sustainability, which in turn contributes to the U.S. economy and human health.
2017 Research Highlights
Science of the Seasons
Kelly van Frankenhuyzen talks with U.S. Forest Service experts, Kevin Smith, Paul Schaberg, and Colleen Mainville about fall colors in the Northeast and the science behind the seasonal change.
Science of Fall Colors
- Loading Publications...
- Meet Andrew ''Sandy'' Liebhold - Faces of The Forest ServiceNovember 7, 2018
- Fall Color Begins in the Spring - National Forest FoundationSeptember 14, 2018
- Carbon Offsets for Urban Trees Are on the Horizon - CIty LabAugust 28, 2018
- City Centers Are Sweltering. Trees Could Bring Back Some of Their Cool. - Inside Climate NewsAugust 28, 2018
- The Healing Potential of Turning Vacant Lots Green - CITYLABJuly 30, 2018
- City Trees Provide Hundreds Of Millions Of Dollars In Value Each Year - Clean TechnicaJuly 12, 2018
- Research site networks - USDA Forest Service Experimental Forests & Ranges and Research Natural Areas - ESA - EARLY CAREER ECOLOGIST SECTIONApril 3, 2018
- NYC Trees Creating Millions of Dollars in Benefits Annually for City ResidentsDecember 13, 2018
- In the Mid-Atlantic Region, Economically and Culturally Valuable Tree Species Face Challenging New Climate ConditionsNovember 20, 2018
- Flow of Water Cycle Data is Seen and Heard in WaterVizNovember 14, 2018
- Research May Shed Light on Controlling Catastrophic Disease of BatsOctober 30, 2018
- Forest Service Science Improving Fire Weather PredictionSeptember 12, 2018
- Scientists Look to Trees' Genetics for Clues to Disease and Pest ResistanceAugust 1, 2018
- More news releases...
- Fire-Resistant Is Not Fire-Proof, California Homeowners Discover - National Public RadioDecember 9, 2018
- The Secret to Good Health May Be a Walk in the Park - New York TimesDecember 3, 2018
- California fires: Why there will be more disasters like Paradise - Sacramento BeeNovember 19, 2018
- Why California`s Wildfires Are So Destructive, In 5 Charts - FiveThirtyEightNovember 16, 2018
- Americans Are Moving Closer to Nature, and to Fire Danger - New York timesNovember 15, 2018
- Boxelder and its namesake bugs - Bennington BannerOctober 19, 2018
- Take a Look at How Quickly a Forest Can Recover From Fire - New York TimesSeptember 25, 2018