Northern Research Station
June Feature - Connect People to the Outdoors
We derive many benefits from forests, cleaner air and water chief among them, but some of what we gain from forests defies valuation. Time outdoors makes us breathe that cleaner air a bit more deeply. Whether we are hiking down a remote trail or sitting on a park bench, connecting with nature has the power to restore us.
In June, we feature a scientist, a research project, a product and a partnership that center on connecting people and nature.
Science of the Seasons
Forest research is a year-round occupation, but it is fair to say that things get more exciting in the spring. As trees leaf out and understory plants grow, scientists return to the woods to re-measure existing field plots and to install new studies.
- Loading Publications...
- New and Improved Tools Help Adapt Forests to Changing Conditions - USDA BlogOctober 5, 2016
- Brown Bat Found in Washington State Infected with Familiar Strain of Fungus - USDA BlogOctober 5, 2016
- Native American Students Mentored by Forest Service Scientists - USDA BlogApril 5, 2016
- The Biology of Fall Leaves: It's all about Chemistry - USDA BlogOctober 20, 2015
- Land-Marking: Returning to 9/11 Living Memorials Projects and to the People who Continue to Shape, Create and Attend to their Meaning - USDA BlogSeptember 11, 2015
- Assessment Concludes Urban Forests in Chicago Region Face a Warmer, Wetter FutureMay 9, 2017
- Partnership Behind Longest Study of Great Lakes Region Birds HonoredMarch 9, 2017
- Trees Reduce Building Energy Use in U.S. CitiesJanuary 19, 2017
- Deadly Bat Fungus in Washington State Likely Originated in Eastern U.S.August 3, 2016
- Longest Study of Great Lakes Region Birds Finds Populations Holding SteadyJuly 12, 2016
- City Counting Down to First-ever Urban Forest InventoryJune 20, 2016
- More news releases...
- Burn without concern: Research investigates fish mercury levels after burns - Phys.orgJune 21, 2017
- Researchers Look To Revive The Elm In Chippewa National Forest - LPTV NewsJune 16, 2017
- Scientists work to make American elms resistant to Dutch elm disease - KMSP - FOX9June 15, 2017
- U.S. Forest Service works to restore American elm on Chippewa National Forest - Walker, MN: Pilot IndependentJune 13, 2017
- Backyard & Beyond: Mowing less does more good - The Independent- Rhode IslandMay 22, 2017
- Native trees in urban forests vulnerable to climate change - Milwaukee-Wisconsin Journal SentinelMay 14, 2017
- Study: Chicago`s Forests Threatened by Climate Change - WTTW: Chicago TonightMay 12, 2017