Northern Research Station
June Feature - Great Outdoors Month
This month, in recognition of “Great Outdoors Month” we feature a scientist who studies how people co-exist with and realize nature's benefits, research that explores how bison helped shape the forest landscape in West Virginia, and a forest foresight game, “IMPACT: Forestry Edition” that helps players see how intricate and intertwined impacts affect forests and the goods and services they provide.
2021 Research Highlights
Rooted in Research
It is hard to imagine the vast expanse of the Great Lakes being anything but pristine, yet trouble roils just beneath the surface. Along with an increase in the use of electronics, pharmaceuticals, and personal care products comes an increase in the pollutants that are pumped into the environment every day.
New Podcast Season: Backcross
Chemicals and biological control can buy trees time, but they cannot completely control the non-native insects that are attacking trees that have never experienced these insects before. We need something on top of those controls, and these scientists, they’ve been working towards a solution — a long-term resistance. Listen here >>
- Loading Publications...
- Voices of Maple Nation - USDA Forest Service Tribal Relations BlogMarch 25, 2020
- Why the Trees Outside Forests Count - USDA BlogMarch 11, 2020
- After a Blight, the Trees that Survived Need Your Help - USDA BlogFebruary 25, 2020
- Seeing the Urban Forest for the Trees - Taylor Quality GuitarsJanuary 13, 2020
- A Walk in the Woods - 17 Years Later - Short Stories About Long Term ResearchNovember 19, 2019
- Trees can do the Dirty Work of Waste Cleanup - USDA BlogAugust 30, 2019
- Podcast: London Plane Trees: More than Just the Hostas of Street Trees? - Urban Wildlife PodcastJune 25, 2019
- Urban Trees Count in IndianaJune 28, 2022
- Trees and Pavement are Testimony to the Lasting Effects of Housing DiscriminationApril 28, 2022
- National Award Honors Research Leading to Habitat Restoration for People, BirdsJanuary 14, 2022
- History of Insect Invasions Offer Insight into the FutureNovember 3, 2021
- Gardening for Wildlife Enhances Bird Diversity Beyond Your Own Back YardOctober 25, 2021
- Now Streaming: Chicago's Urban Forest MetricsOctober 13, 2021
- More news releases...
- Scientists trace black stains on beachgoers’ feet to invasive species - Portland Press HeraldJune 26, 2022
- Rebuilding for Climate: Successful City Strategies - Climate One (podcast)June 24, 2022
- “Reforestation Hubs” Are Saving Urban Trees From Heading to Landfills - Next CityMay 27, 2022
- U.S. cities swap dead trees for new in circular economy for forests - Thomson Reuters Foundation NewsMay 26, 2022
- From sinks to sources: peatland carbon is poised to be part of the climate crisis - Great Lakes EchoMay 25, 2022
- Project in northern Minnesota forest works to protect red pines - FOX9 - KMSPMay 23, 2022
- Experimental forests in northern Minnesota study the future impacts of climate change - FOX9 - KMSPMay 22, 2022