Northern Research Station
December Feature - Forest Inventory and Analysis
December’s dark afternoons inspire reflection on all that we are thankful for and all that we have accomplished over the previous 12 months. This month, we pay homage to the accomplishments of the Northern Research Station’s Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) group and introduce a scientist who learned to love nature in the wilds of South Africa, an interactive report on Missouri forests that enables users to explore FIA data in more unique and dynamic ways, and a partnership that is combining FIA data with Canadian forest inventory data to make predictions about how climate-induced habitat changes may impact tree species distribution.
Rooted in Research
New Podcast Episode: Mac Callaham, a research ecologist, goes searching in Georgia’s Chattahoochee National Forest for one of Brood X’s most-southern cicada emergences.
Field note from a scientist on a once in 17 year event. Listen here >>
2020 Research Highlights
- Loading Publications...
- Voices of Maple Nation - USDA Forest Service Tribal Relations BlogMarch 25, 2020
- Why the Trees Outside Forests Count - USDA BlogMarch 11, 2020
- After a Blight, the Trees that Survived Need Your Help - USDA BlogFebruary 25, 2020
- Seeing the Urban Forest for the Trees - Taylor Quality GuitarsJanuary 13, 2020
- A Walk in the Woods - 17 Years Later - Short Stories About Long Term ResearchNovember 19, 2019
- Trees can do the Dirty Work of Waste Cleanup - USDA BlogAugust 30, 2019
- Podcast: London Plane Trees: More than Just the Hostas of Street Trees? - Urban Wildlife PodcastJune 25, 2019
- History of Insect Invasions Offer Insight into the FutureNovember 3, 2021
- Gardening for Wildlife Enhances Bird Diversity Beyond Your Own Back YardOctober 25, 2021
- Now Streaming: Chicago's Urban Forest MetricsOctober 13, 2021
- Climate adaptation tools designed for health of urban trees and peopleJune 25, 2021
- Urban Forests Count in MissouriJune 17, 2021
- Research Gives Trees an Edge in Landfill Clean-upApril 28, 2021
- More news releases...
- The Toll: Could Greater Investment in Greening Help Reduce Gun Violence? - Resolve PhillyDecember 3, 2021
- As wildfires rage in California, fire concerns grow in New England amid changing climate - Burlington Free PressSeptember 16, 2021
- Trees: Our Mental, Physical, Climate Change Antidote - WBUR - Boston's NPR StationSeptember 2, 2021
- Obama Presidential Center will displace vital South Side Chicago trees, advocates say - Environmental Health NewsAugust 31, 2021
- Three Storms, A Bucket, A Stress Test: 10 Years Later, What Tropical Storm Irene Says About Climate Change In N.H. Now - New Hampshire Public RadioAugust 23, 2021
- Sixty Brown headed Nuthatch birds set to be released in Mark Twain National Forest - The Rolla Daily NewsAugust 18, 2021
- Why Philly trees cast more shade on the wealthier - Philadelphia InquirerAugust 11, 2021