People and Their Environments:
Social Science Supporting Natural Resource Management and Policy
As human populations increase in size, extent, and diversity, natural resource planners and policymakers must address growing concerns about a wide range of environments. To make the best decisions – for people and for nature – they need information about how people and natural environments influence each other in rural and urban areas and everywhere in between. That is the focus of the People and Their Environments research unit.
Staffed with social scientists from a wide range of backgrounds, People and Their Environments is one of only a few Forest Service research work units that studies the human component of natural resource management. Our expertise ranges across the social science disciplines: economics, psychology, geography, sociology, and related fields like landscape architecture, recreation, and planning.
Our Research Areas
- Changing Population Demographics, Changing Land Uses
- Perceptions and Experiences of Nature
- People’s Outdoor Activities
- Environmental Values
- Natural Resource Disturbances
- Urban Ecology
- Zalesny, Ronald S.; Hallett, Richard A.; Falxa-Raymond, Nancy; Wiese, Adam H.; Birr, Bruce A. 2014. Propagating native Salicaceae for afforestation and restoration in New York City's five boroughs. Native Plants Journal. 15(a):29-41.
- Polsky, Colin; Grove, J. Morgan; Knudson, Chris; Groffman, Peter M.; Bettez, Neil; Cavender-Bares, JJeannine; Hall, Sharon J.; Heffernan, James B.; Hobbie, Sarah E.; Larson, Kelli L.; Morse, Jennifer L.; Neill, Christopher; Nelson, Kristen C.; Ogden, Laura A.; O'Neil-Dunne, Jarlath; Pataki, Diane E.; Chowdhury, Rinku Roy; Steele, Meredith K. 2014. Assessing the homogenization of urban land management with an application to US residential lawn care. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 111(12): 4432-4437.
- Newman, Soren M.; Carroll, Matthew S.; Jakes, Pamela J.; Williams, Daniel R.; Higgins, Lorie L. 2014. Earth, wind, and fire: Wildfire risk perceptions in a hurricane-prone environment. Society & Natural Resources. 16 p.
- Stevens, Thomas H.; More, Thomas A.; Markowski-Lindsay, Marla. 2014. Declining national park visitation: An economic analysis. Journal of Leisure Research. 46(2):153-164.
- Janowiak, Maria K.; Iverson, Louis R.; Mladenoff, David J.; Peters, Emily; Wythers, Kirk R.; Xi, Weimin; Brandt, Leslie A.; Butler, Patricia R.; Handler, Stephen D.; Shannon, P. Danielle; Swanston, Chris; Parker, Linda R.; Amman, Amy J.; Bogaczyk, Brian; Handler, Christine; Lesch, Ellen; Reich, Peter B.; Matthews, Stephen; Peters, Matthew; Prasad, Anantha; Khanal, Sami; Liu, Feng; Bal, Tara; Bronson, Dustin; Burton, Andrew; Ferris, Jim; Fosgitt, Jon; Hagan, Shawn; Johnston, Erin; Kane, Evan; Matula, Colleen; O'Connor, Ryan; Higgins, Dale; St. Pierre, Matt; Daley, Jad; Davenport, Mae; Emery, Marla R.; Fehringer, David; Hoving, Christopher L.; Johnson, Gary; Neitzel, David; Notaro, Michael; Rissman, Adena; Rittenhouse, Chadwick; Ziel, Robert. 2014. Forest ecosystem vulnerability assessment and synthesis for northern Wisconsin and western Upper Michigan: a report from the Northwoods Climate Change Response Framework project. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-136. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 247 p.
- Toman, Eric; Shindler, Bruce; McCaffrey, Sarah; Bennett, James. 2014. Public acceptance of wildland fire and fuel management: Panel responses in seven locations. Environmental Management. 54(3): 557-570.
- Stidham, Melanie; McCaffrey, Sarah; Toman, Eric; Shindler, Bruce. 2014. Policy tools to encourage community-level defensible space in the United States: A tale of six communities. Journal of Rural Studies. 35: 59-69.
- Hewes, Jaketon H.; Butler, Brett J.; Liknes, Greg C.; Nelson, Mark D.; Snyder, Stephanie A. 2014. Map of distribution of six forest ownership types in the conterminous United States. Res. Map NRS-6. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. [Scale 1: 10,000,000, 1: 34,000,000.]
- Falxa-Raymond, Nancy; Palmer, Matthew I.; McPhearson, Timon; Griffin, Kevin L. 2014. Foliar nitrogen characteristics of four tree species planted in New York City forest restoration sites. Urban Ecosystems. 17(3): 807-824.
- Locke, Dexter H.; King, Kristen L.; Svendsen, Erika S.; Campbell, Lindsay K.; Small, Christopher; Sonti, Nancy F.; Fisher, Dana R.; Lu, Jacqueline W.T. 2014. Urban environmental stewardship and changes in vegetative cover and building footprint in New York City neighborhoods (2000-2010). Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences. 4(3): 250-262.
Last Modified: 01/11/2012