Research Work Unit NRS-04
Our Mission- to provide basic and applied knowledge about and develop methods for protecting and sustaining landscapes disturbed by invasive species and other agents.
Our Research Areas
We work on developing knowledge and methods to address the effects of invasive species and surface mining on forested and urban landscapes in the Northeast and Midwest. Our approaches include development of microbial controls and field methods for use against invasive insects; generation of hardwood trees with resistance/tolerance to invasive pathogens or insects through genetics; development of methods to use pathogen and insect resistant/tolerant hardwood tree strains to restore tree species and/or landscapes; development of controls and management methods to address invasive weeds within the urban landscape; and generation of methods to facilitate reforestation of reclaimed mine lands.
Our research and development focus areas include:
- Pinchot, Cornelia; Clark, Stacy; Schlarbaum, Scott; Saxton, Arnold; Sung, Shi-Jean; Hebard, Frederick. 2015. Effects of temporal dynamics, nut weight and nut size on growth of American chestnut, Chinese chestnut and backcross generations in a commercial nursery. Forests. 6(5): 1537-1556.
- Hiremath, Shivanand; Lehtoma, Kirsten; Bauman, Jenise M. 2014. Native mycorrhizal fungi replace introduced fungal species on Virginia pine and American chestnut planted on reclaimed mine sites of Ohio. Journal of American Society of Mining and Reclamation. 3(1). 1-15.
- Koch, Jennifer L.; Carey, David W. 2014. A technique to screen American beech for resistance to the beech scale insect (Cryptococcus fagisuga Lind.). Journal of Visualized Experiments. e51515. 9 p.
- Hiremath, Shiv; Lehtoma, Kirsten; Nicklow, Mike; Willison, Gary. 2013. Pyrolusite Process® to remove acid mine drainage contaminants from Kimble Creek in Ohio: A pilot study. Res. Note NRS-194. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 12 p.
- Hiremath, Shiv; McQuattie, Carolyn; Podila, Gopi; Bauman, Jenise. 2013. Molecular marker genes for ectomycorrhizal symbiosis. International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences. 4(1): 1075-1088.
Last Modified: 02/27/2013