Biological and Environmental Influences on Forest Health and Productivity
Research Work Unit NRS-10
Our Research Mission
To develop strategies and tools to assess, protect, and improve forest health and productivity based on an improved understanding of tree and forest function.
Our Research Areas
Invasive Species - Forests are threatened by the introduction, establishment, spread, and impact of invasive species, particularly in the northern U.S.
Forest Fungi - Forest management for productivity and carbon sequestration is limited by an inadequate understanding of the critical roles of forest fungi in pathology, biodiversity, tree nutrition, and biogeochemistry.
Physiological Responses of Trees to Environmental Stress. - Forest health and productivity are threatened by an inadequate understanding of key physiological responses of trees to environmental stress.
Our Latest Products
- Smith, Kevin T.; Balouet, Jean Christophe; Shortle, Walter C.; Chalot, Michel; Beaujard, Francois; Grudd, H?kan; Vroblesky, Don A.; Burken, Joel G. 2014. Dendrochemical patterns of calcium, zinc, and potassium related to internal factors detected by energy dispersive X-ray fluorescence (EDXRF). Chemosphere. 95: 58-62.
- Walker, Lawrence R.; Shiels, Aaron B.; Bellingham, Peter J.; Sparrow, Ashley D.; Fetcher, Ned; Landau, Fred H.; Lodge, Deborah J. 2013. Changes in abiotic influences on seed plants and ferns during 18 years of primary succession on Puerto Rican landslides. Journal of Ecology. 101(3): 650-661.
- Walker, L. R.; Shiels, A. B.; Bellingham, P. J.; Sparrow, A. D.; Fetcher, N.; Landau, F. H.; Lodge, D. J. 2013. The shifting influence of abiotic drivers during landslide succession in Puerto Rico. Journal of Ecology. 101: 650-661.
- Turkoglu, Aziz; Castellano, Michael Angelo. 2013. New records of truffle fungi (Basidiomycetes) from Turkey. Turkish Journal of Botany. 37: 970-976.
- Smith, Kevin T.; Shortle, Walter C. 2013. Calcium amendment may increase hydraulic efficiency and forest evapotranspiration. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 110(40): E3739.
Last Modified: 01/25/2011