Biological and Environmental Influences on Forest Health and Productivity
Research Work Unit NRS-10
Our Research Mission
To develop strategies and tools to assess, protect, and improve forest health and productivity based on an improved understanding of tree and forest function.
Our Research Areas
Invasive Species - Forests are threatened by the introduction, establishment, spread, and impact of invasive species, particularly in the northern U.S.
Forest Fungi - Forest management for productivity and carbon sequestration is limited by an inadequate understanding of the critical roles of forest fungi in pathology, biodiversity, tree nutrition, and biogeochemistry.
Physiological Responses of Trees to Environmental Stress. - Forest health and productivity are threatened by an inadequate understanding of key physiological responses of trees to environmental stress.
Our Latest Products
- Pontius, Jennifer; Halman, Joshua M.; Schaberg, Paul G. 2016. Seventy years of forest growth and community dynamics in an undisturbed northern hardwood forest. Canadian Journal of Forest Research. 46: 959-967.
- Novak, Klemen; de Luis, Martin; Saz, Miguel A.; Longares, Luis A.; Serrano-Notivoli, Roberto; Raventos, Josep; Cufar, Katarina; Gricar, Jozica; Di Filippo, Alfredo; Piovesan, Gianluca; Rathgeber, Cyrille B.K.; Papadopoulos, Andreas; Smith, Kevin T. 2016. Missing rings in Pinus halepensis ? the missing link to relate the tree-ring record to extreme climatic events. Frontiers in Plant Science. 7: 727 (11 p.) http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2016.00727
- Novak, Klemen; De Luis, Martin; Gricar, Jozica; Prislan, Peter; Merela, Maks; Smith, Kevin T.; Cufar, Katarina. 2016. Missing and dark rings associated with drought in Pinus halepensis. IAWA Journal. 37: 260-274.
- Isselhardt, Mark L.; Perkins, Timothy D.; van den Berg, Abby K.; Schaberg, Paul G. 2016. Preliminary results of sugar maple carbohydrate and growth response under vacuum and gravity sap extraction. Forest Science. 62(2): 125-128.
- Smith, Kevin T.; Arbellay, Estelle; Falk, Donald A.; Sutherland, Elaine Kennedy 2016. Macroanatomy and compartmentalization of recent fire scars in three North American conifers. Canadian Journal of Forest Research. 46: 535-542.
Last Modified: 01/25/2011