You are here: NRS Home / Publications & Data / Pioneer Mothers' Memorial Forest revisited

Publication Details

Publication Toolbox
  • Download PDF  (145 KB)
  • This publication is available only online.

Pioneer Mothers' Memorial Forest revisited

  • Schlesinger, R.C.
  • Funk, D.T.
  • Roth, P.L.
  • Myers, C.C.

Year Published

1991

Publication

In: McCormick, Larry H.; Gottschalk, Kurt W., eds. Proceedings, 8th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; 1991 March 4-6; University Park, PA. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-148. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station: 594-595.

Abstract

The area now known as Pioneer Mothers' Memorial Forest was acquired by Joseph Cox in 1816 from the public domain. In 1944, a portion of that property, including the area referred to as Cox Woods, was established as a National Forest Research Natural Area. This beech-maple forest, located in the Knobs area of southern Indiana, is considered to be one of the few remaining remnants of the original forests in the region.

Citation

Schlesinger, R.C.; Funk, D.T.; Roth, P.L.; Myers, C.C. 1991. Pioneer Mothers'' Memorial Forest revisited. In: McCormick, Larry H.; Gottschalk, Kurt W., eds. Proceedings, 8th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; 1991 March 4-6; University Park, PA. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-148. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station: 594-595.
Last updated on: February 15, 2008

NRS at a Glance