Scientists & Staff
Dr. Pan is currently a senior research scientist with the Climate, Fire, and Carbon Cycle Sciences group of the Northern Research Station, USDA Forest Service, and Associate Faculty at University of Pennsylvania. She is a member of the U.S. Government’s Carbon Cycle Science Steering Group, member of the Global Forest Expert Panel (GFEP) on Biodiversity, Forest Management and REDD+ (the Collaborative Partnership of FAO, IUFRO, UNDP, UNEP, World Bank etc.), member of the Editorial Boards of the ESA journals, Ecosphere and Ecological Applications, as well as Associate Editor of the Journal of Geophysical Research-Biogeosciences. Her research projects primarily include, but are not limited to,
Her research is highly interdisciplinary in nature and has integrated intensive field studies with modeling approaches, combining strengths of both process- and statistical-based methods with hierarchic observations and measurements from forest inventories, eddy flux towers and remote sensing to understanding how ecosystems function across multiple scales. She has been involved in a series of collaborative projects for understanding and quantifying the impacts of climate changes on forest ecosystems and watershed health in Northeastern and the Mid-Atlantic regions, and for North America. She has also worked on the global forest C analyses with colleagues from around the world. She has been a PI and Co-PI of several NASA projects and USFS Climate Change Research Grants.
- SUNY-ESF and Syracuse University, Ph.D. Plant Ecology, 1993
- Graduate School of Chinese Academy of Sciences, MSc. Quantitative Plant Ecology, 1984
- Oceanography University of China, B.S Applied Mathematics, 1983
Featured Publications & Products
- Pan, Yude; Birdsey, Richard A.; Phillips, Oliver L.; Jackson, Robert B. 2013. The structure, distribution, and biomass of the world's forests.
- Pan, Yude; Birdsey, Richard A.; Fang, Jingyun; Houghton, Richard; Kauppi, Pekka E.; Kurz, Werner A.; Phillips, Oliver L.; Shvidenko, Anatoly; Lewis, Simon L.; Canadell, Josep G.; Ciais, Philippe; Jackson, Robert B.; Pacala, Stephen W.; McGuire, A. David; Piao, Shilong; Rautiainen, Aapo; Sitch, Stephen; Hayes, Daniel. 2011. A large and persistent carbon sink in the world's forests.
- Pan, Y.; Chen, J.M.; Birdsey, R.; McCullough, K.; He, L.; Deng, F. 2011. Age structure and disturbance legacy of North American forests.
- Pan, Yude; Birdsey, Richard; Hom, John; McCullough, Kevin. 2009. Separating effects of changes in atmospheric composition, climate and land-use on carbon sequestration of U.S. mid-Atlantic temperate forests.
- Pan, Yude; Birdsey, Richard; Hom, John; McCullough, Kevin; Clark, Kenneth. 2006. Improved estimates of net primary productivity from MODIS satellite data at regional and local scales.
- Pan, Yude; Hom, John; Birdsey, Richard; Mccullough, Kevin. 2004. Impacts of Rising Nitrogen Deposition on N Exports from Forests to Surface Waters in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed.
- Pan, Yude; McGuire, A. David; Melillo, Jerry M.; Kicklighter, David W; Sitch, Stephen; Prentice, I. Colin; Prentice, I. Colin. 2002. A biogeochemistry-based dynamic vegetation model and its application along a moisture gradient in the continental United States.
Publications & Products
- Xiao, Jingfeng; Ollinger, Scott V.; Frolking, Steve; Hurtt, George C.; Hollinger, David Y.; Davis, Kenneth J.; Pan, Yude; Zhang, Xiaoyang; Deng, Feng; Chen, Jiquan; Baldocchi, Dennis D.; Law, Bevery E.; Arain, M. Altaf; Desai, Ankur R.; Richardson, Andrew D.; Sun, Ge; Amiro, Brian; Margolis, Hank; Gu, Lianhong; Scott, Russell L.; Blanken, Peter D.; Suyker, Andrew E. 2014. Data-driven diagnostics of terrestrial carbon dynamics over North America.
- Birdsey, Richard; Pan, Yude; Janowiak, Maria; Stewart, Susan; Hines, Sarah; Parker, Linda; Gower, Stith; Lichstein, Jeremy; McCullough, Kevin; Zhang, Fangmin; Chen, Jing; Mladenoff, David; Wayson, Craig; Swanston, Chris. 2014. Past and prospective carbon stocks in forests of northern Wisconsin: a report from the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest Climate Change Response Framework.
- Birdsey, Richard; Angeles-Perez, Gregorio; Kurz, Werner A; Lister, Andrew; Olguin, Marcela; Pan, Yude; Wayson, Craig; Wilson, Barry; Johnson, Kristofer. 2013. Approaches to monitoring changes in carbon stocks for REDD+.
- Cole, Jason A.; Johnson, Kristopher D.; Birdsey, Richard A.; Pan, Yude; Wayson, Craig A.; McCullough, Kevin; Hoover, Coeli M.; Hollinger, David Y.; Bradford, John B.; Ryan, Michael G.; Kolka, Randall K.; Wieshampel, Peter; Clark, Kenneth L.; Skowronski, Nicholas S.; Hom, John; Ollinger, Scott V.; McNulty, Steven G.; Gavazzi, Michael J. 2013. Database for landscape-scale carbon monitoring sites.
- Dilling, Lisa; Birdsey, Richard; Pan, Yude. 2013. Opportunities and challenges for carbon management on U.S. public lands. Chapter 18.
- Deng, F.; Chen, J.M.; Pan, Y.; Peters, W.; Birdsey, R.; McCullough, K.; Xiao, J. 2013. The use of forest stand age information in an atmospheric CO2 inversion applied to North America.
- Zhang, Fangmin; Chen, Jing M.; Pan, Yude; Birdsey, Richard A.; Shen, Shuanghe; Ju, Weimin; He, Liming. 2012. Attributing carbon changes in conterminous U.S.
- Zhang, Fangmin; Chen, Jing M.; Pan, Yude; Birdsey, Richard A.; Shen, Shuanghe; Ju, Weimin; He, Liming. 2012. Attributing carbon changes in conterminous U.S. forests to disturbance and non-disturbance factors from 1901 to 2010.
- Hayes, Daniel J.; Turner, David P.; Stinson, Graham; Mcguire, A. David; Wei, Yaxing; West, Tristram O.; Heath, Linda S.; Dejong, Bernardus; McConkey, Brian G.; Birdsey, Richard A.; Kurz, Werner A.; Jacobson, Andrew R.; Huntzinger, Deborah N.; Pan, Yude; Post, W. Mac; Cook, Robert B. 2012. Reconciling estimates of the contemporary North American carbon balance among terrestrial biosphere models, atmospheric inversions, and a new approach for estimating net ecosystem exchange from inventory-based data.
- He, Liming; Chen, Jing M.; Pan, Yude; Birdsey, Richard; Kattge, Jens. 2012. Relationships between net primary productivity and forest stand age in U.S. forests.
- Birdsey, Richard; Pan, Yude. 2011. Ecology: Drought and dead trees.
- He, Liming; Chen, Jing M.; Zhang, Shaoliang; Gomez, Gustavo; Pan, Yude; McCullough, Kevin; Birdsey, Richard; Masek, Jeffrey G. 2011. Normalized algorithm for mapping and dating forest disturbances and regrowth for the United States.
- Pan, Y.; Chen, J.M.; Birdsey, R.; McCullough, K.; He, L.; Deng, F. 2010. Age structure and disturbance legacy of North American forests.
- Birdsey, R.A.; Lucas, R.; Pan, Y.; Sun, G.; Gustafson, E.J.; Perera, A.H. . 2010. Managing landscapes at multiple scales for sustainability of ecosystem functions (Preface).
- Johnson, K.; Scatena, F. N.; Pan, Y. 2010. Short- and long-term responses of total soil organic carbon to harvesting in a northern hardwood forest.
- Johnson, Kristofer; Scatena, Frederick N.; Pan, Yude. 2010. Short- and long-term responses of total soil organic carbon to harvesting in a northern hardwood forest.
- Yang, Y.H.; Fang, J.Y.; Pan, Y.D.; Ji, C.J. 2009. Aboveground biomass in Tibetan grasslands.
- Johnson, K.D.; Scatena, F.N.; Johnson, A.H.; Pan, Y. 2009. Controls on soil organic matter content within a northern hardwood forest.
- Clark, Kenneth L.; Skowronski, Nicholas; Hom, John; Duveneck, Matthew; Pan, Yude; Van Tuyl, Stephen; Cole, Jason; Patterson, Matthew; Maurer, Stephen. 2009. Decision support tools to improve the effectiveness of hazardous fuel reduction treatments in the New Jersey Pine Barrens.
- Murdoch, Peter S.; Hom, John L.; Pan, Yude; Fischer, Jeffrey M. 2008. 8.0 Integrating the effect of terrestrial ecosystem health and land use on the hydrology, habitat, and water quality of the Delaware River and estuary.
- Pan, Yude; Birdsey, Richard; Chen, Jing; McCullough, kevin. 2008. Forest carbon changes of the United States in response to impacts of disturbances, succession, climate variability and atmospheric chemistry.
- Birdsey, Richard A.; Cook, Robert; Denning, Scott; Griffith, Peter; Law, Beverly; Masek, Jeffrey; Michalak, Anna; Ogle, Stephen; Ojima, Dennis; Pan, Yude; Sabine, Christopher; Sheffner, Edwin; Sundquist, Eric. 2007. Investigators share improved understanding of the North American carbon cycle.
- Pan, Yude; Birdsey, Richard; Hom, John; McCullough, Kevin. 2007. Modeling complex effects of multiple environmental stresses on carbon dynamics of Mid-Atlantic temperate forests.
- Birdsey, Richard A.; Jenkins, Jennifer C.; Johnston, Mark; Huber-Sannwald, Elisabeth; Amiro, Brian; de Jong, Ben; Etchevers Barra, Jorge D.; French, Nancy; Garcia-Oliva, Felipe; Harmon, Mark; Heath, Linda S.; Jaramillo, Victor J.; Johnsen, Kurt; Law, Beverly E.; Marin-Spiotta, Erika; Masera, Omar; Neilson, Ronald; Pan, Yude; Pregitzer, Kurt S. 2007. North American forests.
- Clark, Kenneth; Skowronski, Nick; Pan, Yude; Van Tuyl, Steve; Heilman, Warren. 2006. Fire research in the pine barrens of New Jersey.
- Luo, Tianxiang; Luo, Ji; Pan, Yude. 2005. Leaf traits and associated ecosystem characteristics across subtropical and timberline forests in the Gongga Mountains, Eastern Tibetan Plateau.
- Luo, Tianxiang; Brown, Sandra; Pan, Yude; Shi, Peili; Ouyang, Hua; Yu, Zhenliang; Zhu, Huazhong. 2005. Root biomass along subtropical to alpine gradients: global implication from Tibetan transect studies.
- Pan, Yude; Hom, John; Jenkins, Jennifer; Birdsey, Richard. 2004. Importance of Foliar Nitrogen Concentration to Predict Forest Productivity in the Mid-Atlantic Region.
- Luo, Tianxlang; Pan, Yude; Ouyang, Hua; Shi, Peili; Luo, Ji; Yu, Zhenliang; Lu, Qi. 2004. Leaf area index and net primary productivity along subtropical to alpine gradients in the Tibetan Plateau.
- Pan, Yude; Luo, Tianxiang; Birdsey, Richard; Hom, John; Melillo, Jerry. 2004. New estimates of carbon storage and sequestration in China's forests: effects of age-class and methods on inventory-based carbon estimation.
- Pan, Yude; Hom, John; McCullough, Kevin. 2004. Past and prospective effects of N deposition on carbon recycling and nutrient retention in the Delaware River Basin.
National Research Highlights
|Effects of Disturbance, Climate, and Management on U.S. Forest Carbon|
Forest response to fire, insects, harvesting, etc., is responsible for nearly one-half of the U.S. forest carbon sink, offsetting about 12 perce ...
|Global Forests Sequester One-third of Annual Fossil Fuel Emissions, Much More Than Previously Thought|
Forested land plays a much larger role in removing carbon from the atmosphere than was previously thought, according to Forest Service scientist ...