Title: Research Forester
Unit: Climate, Fire, and Carbon Cycle Sciences
Address: Northern Research Station
11 Campus Blvd., Suite 200
Newtown Square, PA 19073
E-mail: Contact Yude Pan
Curriculum Vitae (86 KB PDF)
Jump to Publications
- 1993 - Ph.D. SUNY-ESF and Syracuse University, Plant Ecology
- 1984 - MSc. Graduate School of Chinese Academy of Sciences. Quantitative Plant Ecology
- 1982 - B.S. Oceanography University of China. Applied Mathematics
Dr. Pan is currently a senior research scientist with the Climate, Fire, and Carbon Cycle Sciences group of the Northern Research Station, USDA Forest Service, and Associate Faculty at University of Pennsylvania. She is a member of the U.S. Government?s Carbon Cycle Science Steering Group, member of the Global Forest Expert Panel (GFEP) on Biodiversity, Forest Management and REDD+ (the Collaborative Partnership of FAO, IUFRO, UNDP, UNEP, World Bank etc.), member of the Editorial Boards of the ESA journals, Ecosphere and Ecological Applications, as well as Associate Editor of the Journal of Geophysical Research-Biogeosciences. Her research projects primarily include, but are not limited to,
- Biological responses of terrestrial ecosystems to multiple environmental stresses with emphasis on understanding complex interactions among biotic and abiotic processes and between ecosystem structural and functional dynamics;
- Regional and continental terrestrial carbon dynamics, and the magnitude and causes of carbon sinks/sources on the land, analyzing the relative importance of the factors that regulate terrestrial uptake of C including natural disturbances, LULC, climate variability, increasing CO2 concentration, N deposition, and tropospheric ozone.
- The global forest carbon budget and the role of forests in the global carbon cycle, including assessment of forest carbon management strategies for mitigation, and the UN REDD+ Program.
- Modeling and forecasting complex effects of land use, climate and air pollution, particularly nitrogen deposition, on the health of forested watersheds and the effects of watershed forests on the micro-scale stream environments and aquatic organisms.
Her research is highly interdisciplinary in nature and has integrated intensive field studies with modeling approaches, combining strengths of both process- and statistical-based methods with hierarchic observations and measurements from forest inventories, eddy flux towers and remote sensing to understanding how ecosystems function across multiple scales. She has been involved in a series of collaborative projects for understanding and quantifying the impacts of climate changes on forest ecosystems and watershed health in Northeastern and the Mid-Atlantic regions, and for North America. She has also worked on the global forest C analyses with colleagues from around the world. She has been a PI and Co-PI of several NASA projects and USFS Climate Change Research Grants.
- Cole, Jason A.; Johnson, Kristopher D.; Birdsey, Richard A.; Pan, Yude; Wayson, Craig A.; McCullough, Kevin; Hoover, Coeli M.; Hollinger, David Y.; Bradford, John B.; Ryan, Michael G.; Kolka, Randall K.; Wieshampel, Peter; Clark, Kenneth L.; Skowronski, Nicholas S.; Hom, John; Ollinger, Scott V.; McNulty, Steven G.; Gavazzi, Michael J. 2013. Database for landscape-scale carbon monitoring sites. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-119. Newtown square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 12 p.
- Zhang, Fangmin; Chen, Jing M.; Pan, Yude; Birdsey, Richard A.; Shen, Shuanghe; Ju, Weimin; He, Liming. 2012. Attributing carbon changes in conterminous U.S. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences
- Zhang, Fangmin; Chen, Jing M.; Pan, Yude; Birdsey, Richard A.; Shen, Shuanghe; Ju, Weimin; He, Liming. 2012. Attributing carbon changes in conterminous U.S. forests to disturbance and non-disturbance factors from 1901 to 2010. Journal of Geophysical Research. 1: G02021. 1-18.
- Hayes, Daniel J.; Turner, David P.; Stinson, Graham; Mcguire, A. David; Wei, Yaxing; West, Tristram O.; Heath, Linda S.; Dejong, Bernardus; McConkey, Brian G.; Birdsey, Richard A.; Kurz, Werner A.; Jacobson, Andrew R.; Huntzinger, Deborah N.; Pan, Yude; Post, W. Mac; Cook, Robert B. 2012. Reconciling estimates of the contemporary North American carbon balance among terrestrial biosphere models, atmospheric inversions, and a new approach for estimating net ecosystem exchange from inventory-based data. Global Change Biology. 18: 1282-1299
- He, Liming; Chen, Jing M.; Pan, Yude; Birdsey, Richard; Kattge, Jens. 2012. Relationships between net primary productivity and forest stand age in U.S. forests. Global Biogeochemical Cycles. 26(GB3009). doi:10.1029/2010GB003942.
- Pan, Yude; Birdsey, Richard A.; Fang, Jingyun; Houghton, Richard; Kauppi, Pekka E.; Kurz, Werner A.; Phillips, Oliver L.; Shvidenko, Anatoly; Lewis, Simon L.; Canadell, Josep G.; Ciais, Philippe; Jackson, Robert B.; Pacala, Stephen W.; McGuire, A. David; Piao, Shilong; Rautiainen, Aapo; Sitch, Stephen; Hayes, Daniel. 2011. A large and persistent carbon sink in the world's forests. Science. 333: 988-993.
- Pan, Y.; Chen, J.M.; Birdsey, R.; McCullough, K.; He, L.; Deng, F. 2011. Age structure and disturbance legacy of North American forests. Biogeosciences. 8: 715-732.
- Birdsey, Richard; Pan, Yude. 2011. Ecology: Drought and dead trees. Nature Climate Change. 1: 444-445.
- He, Liming; Chen, Jing M.; Zhang, Shaoliang; Gomez, Gustavo; Pan, Yude; McCullough, Kevin; Birdsey, Richard; Masek, Jeffrey G. 2011. Normalized algorithm for mapping and dating forest disturbances and regrowth for the United States. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation. 13: 236-245.
- Pan, Y.; Chen, J.M.; Birdsey, R.; McCullough, K.; He, L.; Deng, F. 2010. Age structure and disturbance legacy of North American forests. Biogeoscience Discussions. 7: 979-1020.
- Johnson, K.; Scatena, F. N.; Pan, Y. 2010. Short- and long-term responses of total soil organic carbon to harvesting in a northern hardwood forest. Forest Ecology and Management. 259(7): 1262-1267.
- Johnson, Kristofer; Scatena, Frederick N.; Pan, Yude. 2010. Short- and long-term responses of total soil organic carbon to harvesting in a northern hardwood forest. Forest Ecology and Management. 259(7): 1262-1267.
- Yang, Y.H.; Fang, J.Y.; Pan, Y.D.; Ji, C.J. 2009. Aboveground biomass in Tibetan grasslands. Journal of Arid Environments. 73: 91-95.
- Johnson, K.D.; Scatena, F.N.; Johnson, A.H.; Pan, Y. 2009. Controls on soil organic matter content within a northern hardwood forest. Geoderma. 148(3-4): 346-356.
- Clark, Kenneth L.; Skowronski, Nicholas; Hom, John; Duveneck, Matthew; Pan, Yude; Van Tuyl, Stephen; Cole, Jason; Patterson, Matthew; Maurer, Stephen. 2009. Decision support tools to improve the effectiveness of hazardous fuel reduction treatments in the New Jersey Pine Barrens. International Journal ofWildland Fire. 18: 268-277.
- Pan, Yude; Birdsey, Richard; Hom, John; McCullough, Kevin. 2009. Separating effects of changes in atmospheric composition, climate and land-use on carbon sequestration of U.S. mid-Atlantic temperate forests. Forest Ecology and Management. 259: 151-164.
- Murdoch, Peter S.; Hom, John L.; Pan, Yude; Fischer, Jeffrey M. 2008. 8.0 Integrating the effect of terrestrial ecosystem health and land use on the hydrology, habitat, and water quality of the Delaware River and estuary. In: Murdoch, Peter S.; Jenkins, Jennifer C.; Birdsey, Richard A. The Delaware River Basin Collaborative Environmental Monitoring and Research Initiative. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-25. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 74-82.
- Pan, Yude; Birdsey, Richard; Chen, Jing; McCullough, kevin. 2008. Forest carbon changes of the United States in response to impacts of disturbances, succession, climate variability and atmospheric chemistry. In: Proceedings of the International Conference of IUFRO-8.01.02 Landscape Ecology: 136-137.
- Birdsey, Richard A.; Cook, Robert; Denning, Scott; Griffith, Peter; Law, Beverly; Masek, Jeffrey; Michalak, Anna; Ogle, Stephen; Ojima, Dennis; Pan, Yude; Sabine, Christopher; Sheffner, Edwin; Sundquist, Eric. 2007. Investigators share improved understanding of the North American carbon cycle. American Geophysical Union. 88(24): 255.
- Pan, Yude; Birdsey, Richard; Hom, John; McCullough, Kevin. 2007. Modeling complex effects of multiple environmental stresses on carbon dynamics of Mid-Atlantic temperate forests. In: Book of abstracts. The U.S. North American Carbon Program (NACP) Investigators, NACP All Scientists Meeting; 2007 January 22-24; Colorado Springs, CO. 58-59.
- Birdsey, Richard A.; Jenkins, Jennifer C.; Johnston, Mark; Huber-Sannwald, Elisabeth; Amiro, Brian; de Jong, Ben; Etchevers Barra, Jorge D.; French, Nancy; Garcia-Oliva, Felipe; Harmon, Mark; Heath, Linda S.; Jaramillo, Victor J.; Johnsen, Kurt; Law, Beverly E.; Marin-Spiotta, Erika; Masera, Omar; Neilson, Ronald; Pan, Yude; Pregitzer, Kurt S. 2007. North American forests. In: King, A.W.; Dilling, L.; Zimmerman, G.P.; Fairman, D.M.; Houghton, R.A.; Marland, G.; Rose, A.Z.; Wilbanks, T.J., eds. The First State of the Carbon Cycle Report (SOCCR): The North American Carbon Budget and Implications for the Global Carbon Cycle. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Climatic Data Center, Asheville, NC: 117-126, 173-176.
- Clark, Kenneth; Skowronski, Nick; Pan, Yude; Van Tuyl, Steve; Heilman, Warren. 2006. Fire research in the pine barrens of New Jersey. In: Dickinson, Matthew B., ed. 2006. Fire in eastern oak forests: delivering science to land managers, proceedings of a conference; 2005 November 15-17; Columbus, OH. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-1. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 271.
- Pan, Yude; Birdsey, Richard; Hom, John; McCullough, Kevin; Clark, Kenneth. 2006. Improved estimates of net primary productivity from MODIS satellite data at regional and local scales. Ecological Applications.
- Luo, Tianxiang; Luo, Ji; Pan, Yude. 2005. Leaf traits and associated ecosystem characteristics across subtropical and timberline forests in the Gongga Mountains, Eastern Tibetan Plateau. Oecologia 142:261-273
- Luo, Tianxiang; Brown, Sandra; Pan, Yude; Shi, Peili; Ouyang, Hua; Yu, Zhenliang; Zhu, Huazhong. 2005. Root biomass along subtropical to alpine gradients: global implication from Tibetan transect studies. Forest Ecology and Management 206:349-363
- Pan, Yude; Hom, John; Birdsey, Richard; Mccullough, Kevin. 2004. Impacts of Rising Nitrogen Deposition on N Exports from Forests to Surface Waters in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed. Environmental Management. 33: S120-S131.
- Pan, Yude; Hom, John; Jenkins, Jennifer; Birdsey, Richard. 2004. Importance of Foliar Nitrogen Concentration to Predict Forest Productivity in the Mid-Atlantic Region. Forest Science. 50(3): 279-289.
- Luo, Tianxlang; Pan, Yude; Ouyang, Hua; Shi, Peili; Luo, Ji; Yu, Zhenliang; Lu, Qi. 2004. Leaf area index and net primary productivity along subtropical to alpine gradients in the Tibetan Plateau. Global Ecology and Biogeography. 13: 345-358.
- Pan, Yude; Luo, Tianxiang; Birdsey, Richard; Hom, John; Melillo, Jerry. 2004. New estimates of carbon storage and sequestration in China's forests: effects of age-class and methods on inventory-based carbon estimation. Climatic Change. 67: 211-236.
- Pan, Yude; Hom, John; McCullough, Kevin. 2004. Past and prospective effects of N deposition on carbon recycling and nutrient retention in the Delaware River Basin. In: Renard, Kenneth G.; McElroy, Stephen A.; Gburek, William J.; Canfield, H. Evan; Scott, Russell L., eds. First interagency conference on research in the watersheds; 2003 October 27-30; Benson, AZ. Tucson, AZ: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Southwest Watershed Research Center: 323. Abstract.
- Pan, Yude; McGuire, A. David; Melillo, Jerry M.; Kicklighter, David W; Sitch, Stephen; Prentice, I. Colin. 2002. A biogeochemistry-based dynamic vegetation model and its application along a moisture gradient in the continental United States. Journal of Vegetation Science. 13: 369-382.