Scientists & Staff
Scott A. Pugh
I am investigating forest health issues including the effects of pests such as emerald ash borer and changes in forest habitat quantity and quality for wildlife of concern such as the Kirtland’s Warbler and the Golden-winged Warbler. Much of this research is focused at the state through regional scale combining large scale geographic data sets with plot data from the Forest Inventory and Analysis program (FIA). I am working on enhancements for reporting estimates, measures of precision, and comparisons among estimates from FIA data. I am the FIA analyst responsible for monitoring the status and trends of Michigan’s forests. I am also part of a team that provides development, training, and support for FIA and Resource Planning Act data and data mining tools.
• Forest health
• Geographic information systems, image processing, and remote sensing
• Software development
• Database quality control and assurance
Why This Research is Important
Monitoring the status and trends of forest resources and disseminating this knowledge to the public is in everyone’s best interest. The benefits provided by forests are far reaching and vary with the ever changing forest conditions.
- University of New Hampshire, M.S. Forestry Applying Spatial Autocorrelation Analysis to Evaluate Error in New England Forest Cover Type Maps Derived from Landsat Thematic Mapper Data, 1997
- Michigan Technological University, B.S. Forestry Biometrics, Silviculture, GIS, Remote Sensing et al., 1993
- Society Of American Foresters, Full Member (1996 - Current)
- American Society For Photogrammetry & Remote Sensing, Full Member (1994 - 2000)
Featured Publications & Products
- Pugh, Scott A.; Pedersen, Lawrence D.; Heym, Douglas C.; Piva, Ronald J.; Woodall, Christopher W.; Barnett, Charles J.; Kurtz, Cassandra M.; Moser, W. Keith. 2012. Michigan's Forests 2009.
- Previant, Wilfred J.; Nagel, Linda M.; Pugh, Scott A.; Woodall, Christopher W. 2012. Forest Resources of Isle Royale National Park 2010.
- Pugh, Scott A.; Hansen, Mark H.; Pedersen, Lawrence D.; Heym, Douglas C.; Butler, Brett J.; Crocker, Susan J.; Meneguzzo, Dacia; Perry, Charles H.; Haugen, David E.; Woodall, Christopher; Jepsen, Ed. 2009. Michigan's forests 2004.
- Pugh, S.A. 2013. Michigan's forest resources, 2012.
- Pugh, Scott A. 2012. Site productivity - current estimates, change, and possible enhancements for the Northern Research Station.
Publications & Products
- Pugh, Scott A. 2014. Forests of Michigan, 2013.
- Westfall, James A.; Pugh, Scott A.; Coulston, John W. 2013. Conducting tests for statistically significant differences using forest inventory data.
- Nelson, M.D.; Brewer, M.; Pugh, S.A. 2013. Iowa's forest resources, 2012.
- Moser, W.K.; Hansen, M.H.; Pugh, S.A.; Treiman, T.B. 2013. Missouri's forest resources, 2012.
- Pugh, S.A. 2012. Michigan's forest resources, 2011.
- Pugh, Scott A.; Liebhold, Andrew M.; Morin, Randall S. 2011. Changes in ash tree demography associated with emerld ash borer invasion, indicated by regional forest inventory data from the Great Lakes States.
- Pugh, S.A. 2011. Michigan's forest resources, 2010.
- Pugh, S.A. 2010. Michigan's forest resources, 2008.
- Pugh, S.A. 2010. Michigan's forest resources, 2009.
- Pugh, Scott A.; Hansen, Mark H.; Brand, Gary; McRoberts, Ronald E. 2010. Michigan's forests, 2004: statistics and quality assurance.
- Smith, W. Brad, tech. coord.; Miles, Patrick D., data coord.; Perry, Charles H., map coord.; Pugh, Scott A., Data CD coord. 2009. Forest Resources of the United States, 2007.
- Pugh, S.A. 2008. Michigan's Forest Resources, 2007.
- Pugh, S.A. 2007. Michigan's forest resources, 2006.
- Smith, W. Brad; Miles, Patrick D.; Vissage, John S.; Pugh, Scott A. 2004. Forest Resources of the United States, 2002.
- Pugh, Scott A. 2004. RPA Data Wiz users guide, version 1.0.
- Pugh, Scott A.; Reed, David D.; Pregitzer, Kurt S.; Miles, Patrick D. 2002. FIAMODEL: Users Guide Version 3.0..
- Reed, David; Pregitzer, Kurt; Pugh, Scott A.; Miles, Patrick D. 2001. A new Link for Geographic analyses of Inventory Data.
- Reed, David; Pugh, Scott; Miles, Pat; Pregitzer, Kurt. 2001. Analyzing Regional FIA Data In The ArcView Geographic Information System.
- Reed, David; Pregitzer, Kurt; Pugh, Scott A.; Miles, Patrick. 2001. FIAMODEL : a new link for geographic analyses of inventory data.