Scientists & Staff
Sarah J. Hines
Science Delivery Specialist
Urban Forests, Human Health, and Environmental Quality
Baltimore Field Station, 5523 Research Park Drive
Baltimore, Maryland 21228
- University of Michigan, M.S. Environmental Science, 2007
- University of Michigan, M.B.A. Sustainable Business Enterprise, 2007
- Harvard University, B.A. Biological Anthropology, 2002
- Science Delivery Specialist Rocky Mountain Research Station
2011 - Current
I work with both RMRS research scientists and land managers throughout the Interior West to develop and deliver science relevant to Forest Planning, assessing climate change vulnerability, planning for climate change adaptation, and more. I am the editor of “The Science You Can Use Bulletin” (http://www.fs.fed.us/rm/science-application-integration/publications/), a bi-monthly RMRS publication with a distribution to thousands of land and resource managers in the Interior West. I currently serve as co-chair of the Climate Change Resource Center (www.fs.usda.gov/ccrc) and have been a member of the Production Team since 2010.
- Resource Specialist Northeastern Area State and Private Forestry and Northern Research Station
2007 - 2011
I served as a Presidential Management Fellow and resource specialist with the Northeastern Area S&PF and the Northern Research Station. In this position, I helped to deliver carbon and climate change-related research and information to land managers and develop projects to facilitate mitigation and adaptation to climate change on state and private forests.
Featured Publications & Products
- Hines, Sarah J.; Heath, Linda S.; Birdsey, Richard A. 2010. An annotated bibliography of scientific literature on managing forests for carbon benefits. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-57. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 49 p. [Includes CD-ROM].
- Gillette, Nancy E.; Wood, David L.; Hines, Sarah J.; Runyon, Justin B.; Negron, Jose F. 2014. The once and future forest: Consequences of mountain pine beetle treatment decisions. Forest Science. 60(3): 527-538.
- Hines, Sarah; Matonis, Megan. 2014. Overview of the Future Forest Webinar Series [Chapter 1]. In: Matonis, M.; Hubbard, R.; Gebert, K.; Hahn, B.; Miller, S.; Regan, C. Future Forests Webinar Series, Webinar Proceedings and Summary: Ongoing Research and Management Responses to the Mountain Pine Beetle Outbreak. Proceedings RMRS-P-70. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. p. 1-8.
- Hines, Sarah; Brenkert-Smith, Hannah; Champ, Patty; Joyce, Linda; Robichaud, Pete; Ryan-Burkett, Sandra. 2014. Science You Can Use Bulletin: Our relationship with a dynamic landscape: Understanding the 2013 Northern Colorado Flood. Science You Can Use Bulletin, Issue 10. Fort Collins, CO: Rocky Mountain Research Station. 15 p.
- Hines, Sarah; Klopfenstein, Ned; Richardson, Bryce; Warwell, Marcus; Kim, Mee-Sook. 2013. Science You Can Use Bulletin: Return of the king: Western white pine conservation and restoration in a changing climate. Science You Can Use Bulletin, Issue 4. Fort Collins, CO: Rocky Mountain Research Station. 10 p.
- Hines, Sarah; Isaak, Dan; Luce, Charles; Young, Michael K. 2014. Science You Can Use Bulletin: Climate change, crowd-sourcing, and conserving aquatic biotas in the Rocky Mountains this century. Science You Can Use Bulletin, Issue 12. Fort Collins, CO: Rocky Mountain Research Station. 10 p.
- Swanston, Chris; Furniss, Michael J.; Schmitt, Kristen; Guntle, Jeffrey; Janowiak, Maria; Hines, Sarah, eds. 2012. Forest and grassland carbon in North America: A short course for land managers. Gen. Tech Rep. NRS- 93. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. [DVD].
- Birdsey, Richard; Pan, Yude; Janowiak, Maria; Stewart, Susan; Hines, Sarah; Parker, Linda; Gower, Stith; Lichstein, Jeremy; McCullough, Kevin; Zhang, Fangmin; Chen, Jing; Mladenoff, David; Wayson, Craig; Swanston, Chris. 2014. Past and prospective carbon stocks in forests of northern Wisconsin: a report from the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest Climate Change Response Framework. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-127. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 52 p.
- Millar, Constance I.; Skog, Kenneth E.; McKinley, Duncan C.; Birdsey, Richard A.; Swanston, Christopher W.; Hines, Sarah J.; Woodall, Christopher W.; Reinhardt, Elizabeth D.; Peterson, David L.; Vose, James M. 2012. Adaptation and mitigation. In: Vose, James M.; Peterson, David L.; Patel-Weynand, Toral, eds. Effects of climatic variability and change on forest ecosystems: a comprehensive science synthesis for the U.S. forest sector. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-870. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station: 125-192. Chapter 4.
- Skog, Kenneth E.; McKinley, Duncan C.; Birdsey, Richard A.; Hines, Sarah J.; Woodall, Christopher W.; Reinhardt, Elizabeth D.; Vose, James M. 2014. Chapter 7: Managing Carbon. In: Climate Change and United States Forests, Advances in Global Change Research 57 2014; pp. 151-182.
Last updated on : 04-May-2016