Title: Research Ecologist
Unit: Center for Research on Ecosystem Change
1831 Hwy 169 E.
Grand Rapids, MN 55744
E-mail: Contact Shawn Fraver
Jump to Publications
- Ph.D. University of Maine, Forest Resources (Forest Ecology)
- M.S. North Carolina State University, Forestry (Restoration Ecology)
- B.S. The Pennsylvania State University, Biology
Civic & Professional Affiliations
- Society for Conservation Biology
- Ecological Society of America
- Tree-Ring Society
I study how natural and anthropogenic disturbances influence forest processes (eg, productivity, succession), forest structure (eg, canopy form, deadwood abundance), and patterns of biodiversity. My current work relies heavily on dendrochronology (tree-ring) methods as a means of reconstructing past disturbances such as insect outbreaks, small- and large-scale wind events, forest fires, and logging. I often work in old-growth forests, using the processes and structures found there as a benchmark to which forest management options can be compared.
- Russell, Matthew B.; Woodall, Christopher W.; Fraver, Shawn; D'Amato, Anthony W. 2013. Estimates of downed woody debris decay class transitions for forests across the eastern United States. Ecological Modelling. 251: 22-31.
- Bradford, John B.; Fraver, Shawn; Milo, Amy M.; D'Amato, Anthony W.; Palik, Brian J. 2012. Effects of multiple interacting disturbances and salvage logging on forest carbon stocks. Forest Ecology and Management. 267: 209-214.
- Reinikainen, Michael; D'Amato, Anthony W.; Fraver, Shawn. 2012. Repeated insect outbreaks promote multi-cohort aspen mixedwood forests in Northern Minnesota, USA. Forest Ecology and Management. 266: 148-159.
- Brazee, Nicholas J.; Lindner, Daniel L.; Fraver, Shawn; D'Amato, Anthony W.; Milo, Amy M. 2012. Wood-inhabiting, polyporoid fungi in aspen-dominated forests managed for biomass in the U.S. Lake States. Fungal Ecology. 5: 600-609.
- D'Amato, Anthony W.; Bradford, John B.; Fraver, Shawn; Palik, Brian J. 2011. Forest management for mitigation and adaptation: insights from long-term silvicultural experiments. Forest Ecology and Management. 262: 803-816.
- Fraver, Shawn; Bradford, John B.; Palik, Brian J. 2011. Improving tree age estimates derived from increment cores: a case study of red pine. Forest Science. 57(2): 164-170.
- Saunders, Mike R.; Fraver, Shawn; Wagner, Robert G. 2011. Nutrient concentration of down woody debris in mixedwood forests in central Maine, USA. Silva Fennica. 45(2): 197-210.
- D'Amato, Anthony W.; Fraver, Shawn; Palik, Brian; Bradford, John B.; Patty, Laura. 2011. Singular and interactive effects of blowdown, salvage logging, and wildfire in sub-boreal pine systems. Forest Ecology and Management. 262: 2070-2078.
- Hanberry, Brice B.; Fraver, Shawn; He, Hong S.; Yang, Jian; Dey, Dan C.; Palik, Brian J. 2011. Spatial pattern corrections and sample sizes for forest density estimates of historical tree surveys. Landscape Ecology. 26: 59-68.
- Jonsson, Mari; Fraver, Shawn; Jonsson, Bengt Gunnar. 2011. Spatio-temporal variation of coarse woody debris input in woodland key habitats in central Sweden. Silva Fennica. 45(5): 957-967.
- Fraver, Shawn; Jain, Terrie; Bradford, John B.; D'amato, Anthony W.; Kastendick, Doug; Palik, Brian; Shinneman, Doug; Stanovick, John. 2011. The efficacy of salvage logging in reducing subsequent fire severity in conifer-dominated forests of Minnesota, USA. Ecological Applications. 21(6): 1895-1901.
- Bradford, John B.; D'Amato, Anthony W.; Palik, Brian J.; Fraver, Shawn. 2010. A new method for evaluating forest thinning: growth dominance in managed Pinus resinosa stands. Canadian Journal of Forest Research. 40: 843-849.
- Svoboda, Miroslav; Fraver, Shawn; Janda, Pavel; Bace, Radek; Zenahlikova, Jitka. 2010. Natural development and regeneration of a Central European montane spruce forest. Forest Ecology and Management 260: 707-714.
- Powers, Matthew D.; Palik, Brian J.; Bradford, John B.; Fraver, Shawn; Webster, Christopher R. 2010. Thinning method and intensity influence long-term mortality trends in a red pine forest. Forst Ecology and Management. 260: 1138-1148.
- Jonsson, Mari T.; Fraver, Shawn; Jonsson, Bengt Gunnar. 2009. Forest history and the development of old-growth characteristics in fragmented boreal forests. Journal of Vegetation Science. 20: 91-106.
- Fraver, Shawn; White, Alan S.; Seymour, Robert S. 2009. Natural disturbance in an old-growth landscape of northern Maine, USA. Journal of Ecology. 97: 289-298.
- Fraver, Shawn; Jonsson, Bengt Gunnar; Jonsson, Mari; Esseen, Per-Anders. 2008. Demographics and disturbance history of a boreal old-growth Picea abies forest. Journal of Vegetation Science. 19: 789-798.
- Fraver, Shawn; White, Alan S. 2005. Disturbance History of Old-growth Red Spruce Stands in Northern Maine: Linking Tree-ring and Stem-mapped Data. In: Kenefic, Laura S.; Twery, Mark J., eds. Changing Forests - Challenging Times: Proceedings of the New England Society of American Foresters 85th Winter Meeting; 2005 March 16-18; Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-325. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station: 43
- Kenefic, Laura S.; White, Alan S.; Cutko, Andrew R.; Fraver, Shawn. 2005. Reference Stands for Silvicultural Research: A Maine Perspective. Journal of Forestry
- Kenefic, Laura S.; White, Alan S.; Fraver, Shawn. 2004. Reference conditions for silvicultural field studies in Maine: limitations and opportunities. In: Proceedings, Society of American Foresters 2003 national convention; 2003 October 25-29; Buffalo, NY. Bethesda, MD: Society of American Foresters: 344-349.
Other Publications by Shawn Fraver *
- Svoboda, Miroslav; Janda, Pavel; Nagel, Thomas, A.; Fraver, Shawn; Rejzek, Jan; Bače, Radek. 2012. Disturbance history of an old-growth sub-alpine Picea abies stand in the Bohemian Forest, Czech Republic. Journal of Vegetation Science. 23: 86-97.
- Jönsson, M., S. Fraver, and B.G. Jonsson. 2009. Forest history and the development of old-growth characteristics in Swedish spruce forests. Journal of Vegetation Science 20: 91-106.
- Fraver, S. A.S. White, and R.S. Seymour. 2009. Natural disturbance in an old-growth landscape in northern Maine. Journal of Ecology 97: 289-298.
- Fraver, S., B.G. Jonsson, M. Jönsson, and P.-A. Esseen. 2008. Demographics and disturbance history of a boreal old-growth Picea abies forest. Journal of Vegetation Science 19: 789-798.
- Fraver, S., A. Ringvall, and B.G. Jonsson. 2007. Refining volume estimates of down woody debris. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 37: 627-633.
- Fraver, S., R.S. Seymour, J. H. Speer, and A.S. White. 2007. Dendrochronological reconstruction of spruce budworm outbreaks in northern Maine. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 37: 523-529.
- Jönsson, M., S. Fraver, B.G. Jonsson, M. Dynesius, M. Rydgård, and P.-A. Esseen. 2007. Eighteen years of tree mortality and structural change in an experimentally fragmented Norway spruce forest. Forest Ecology and Management 242: 306-313.
- Fraver, S. and A.S. White. 2005. Disturbance dynamics of old-growth Picea rubens forests of northern Maine. Journal of Vegetation Science 16: 597-610.
- Fraver, S. and A.S. White. 2005. Identifying growth releases in dendrochronological studies of forest disturbance. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 35(7): 1648-1656.
- Brokaw, N.V.L., S. Fraver, J.S. Grear, J. Thompson, J.K. Zimmerman, R.B. Waide, E.M. Everham III, S.P. Hubbell, and R.B. Foster. 2004. Disturbance and canopy structure in two tropical forests. Pages 177-194 in E.C. Losos and E.G. Leigh, Jr., editors. Tropical Forest Diversity and Dynamism: Findings from a Large-Scale Plot Network. University of Chicago Press.
- Lara, A., A. Wolodarsky-Franke, J.C. Aravena, M. Cortes, S. Fraver, and F. Silla. 2003. Fire regimes and forest dynamics in the Lake Region of South-Central Chile. Pages 323-342 in T.T. Veblen, W.L. Baker, G. Montenegro, and T.W. Swetnam, editors. Fire and Climate Change in Temperate Ecosystems of the Western Americas. Springer-Verlag New York, Inc.
- Fraver, S., R.G. Wagner, and M. Day. 2002. Dynamics of coarse woody debris following gap harvesting in the Acadian forest of central Maine, USA. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 32(12): 2094-2105.
- Silla, F., S. Fraver, A. Lara, T.R. Allnutt, and A. Newton. 2002. Regeneration and stand dynamics of Fitzroya cupressoides (Cupressaceae) forests of southern Chile's Central Depression. Forest Ecology and Management 165(1): 213-224.
- Lara, A., S. Fraver, J.C. Aravena, and A. Wolodarsky-Franke. 1999. Fire and the dynamics of Fitzroya cupressoides (alerce) forests of Chile's Cordillera Pelada. EcoScience 6(1): 100-109.
- Fraver, S., M.E. González, F. Silla, A. Lara, and M. Gardner. 1999. Composition and structure of remnant Fitzroya cupressoides forests of Southern Chile's Central Depression. Journal of the Torrey Botanical Society 126(1): 49-57.
- Fraver, S., N.V.L. Brokaw, and A.P. Smith. 1998. Delimiting the gap phase in the growth cycle of a Panamanian forest. Journal of Tropical Ecology 14(5): 673-681.
- González, M.E., C. Donoso, and S. Fraver. 1997. Results from mixed plantations of Eucryphia cordifolia, Laurelia sempervirens and Aextoxicon punctatum established in areas disturbed by mass flowering of the bamboo, Chusquea quila. Bosque 18(1): 53-59. (Spanish with English abstract).
- Shear, T.H., T.J. Lent, and S. Fraver. 1996. Comparison of restored and mature bottomland hardwood forests of southwestern Kentucky. Restoration Ecology 4(2): 111-123.
- Fraver, S. 1994. Vegetation responses along edge-to-interior gradients in the mixed hardwood forests of the Roanoke River Basin, North Carolina. Conservation Biology 8(3): 822-832.
- Fraver, S. 1992. The insulating value of serotinous cones in protecting pitch pine (Pinus rigida) seeds from high temperatures. Journal of the Pennsylvania Academy of Science 65(3): 112-116.
*Due to policy or copyright restrictions, we are unable to provide full-text versions of these publications. Please check with your local library or Contact Shawn Fraver to inquire about reprints.