Scientists & Staff
I study how natural and anthropogenic disturbances influence forest processes (eg, productivity, succession), forest structure (eg, canopy form, deadwood abundance), and patterns of biodiversity. My current work relies heavily on dendrochronology (tree-ring) methods as a means of reconstructing past disturbances such as insect outbreaks, small- and large-scale wind events, forest fires, and logging. I often work in old-growth forests, using the processes and structures found there as a benchmark to which forest management options can be compared.
- University of Maine, Ph.D. Forest Resources (Forest Ecology),
- North Carolina State University, M.S. Forestry (Restoration Ecology),
- The Pennsylvania State University, B.S. Biology,
- Society for Conservation Biology
- Ecological Society of America
- Tree-Ring Society
Featured Publications & Products
- Hanberry, Brice B.; Fraver, Shawn; He, Hong S.; Yang, Jian; Dey, Dan C.; Palik, Brian J. 2011. Spatial pattern corrections and sample sizes for forest density estimates of historical tree surveys.
- Powers, Matthew D.; Palik, Brian J.; Bradford, John B.; Fraver, Shawn; Webster, Christopher R. 2010. Thinning method and intensity influence long-term mortality trends in a red pine forest.
- Bradford, John B.; D'Amato, Anthony W.; Palik, Brian J.; Fraver, Shawn. 2010. A new method for evaluating forest thinning: growth dominance in managed Pinus resinosa stands.
- Fraver, Shawn; White, Alan S.; Seymour, Robert S. 2009. Natural disturbance in an old-growth landscape of northern Maine, USA.
- Jonsson, Mari T.; Fraver, Shawn; Jonsson, Bengt Gunnar. 2009. Forest history and the development of old-growth characteristics in fragmented boreal forests.
Publications & Products
- Berger, Alaina L.; Palik, Brian; D'Amato, Anthony W.; Fraver, Shawn; Bradford, John B.; Nislow, Keith; King, David; Brooks, Robert T. 2013. Ecological impacts of energy-wood harvests: lessons from whole-tree harvesting and natural disturbance.
- Russell, Matthew B.; Woodall, Christopher W.; Fraver, Shawn; D'Amato, Anthony W. 2013. Estimates of downed woody debris decay class transitions for forests across the eastern United States.
- Fraver, Shawn; Milo, Amy M.; Bradford, John B.; D’Amato, Anthony W.; Kenefic, Laura; Palik, Brian J.; Woodall, Christopher W.; Brissette, John. 2013. Woody debris volume depletion through decay: Implications for biomass and carbon accounting.
- Bradford, John B.; Fraver, Shawn; Milo, Amy M.; D'Amato, Anthony W.; Palik, Brian J. 2012. Effects of multiple interacting disturbances and salvage logging on forest carbon stocks.
- Reinikainen, Michael; D'Amato, Anthony W.; Fraver, Shawn. 2012. Repeated insect outbreaks promote multi-cohort aspen mixedwood forests in Northern Minnesota, USA.
- Brazee, Nicholas J.; Lindner, Daniel L.; Fraver, Shawn; D'Amato, Anthony W.; Milo, Amy M. 2012. Wood-inhabiting, polyporoid fungi in aspen-dominated forests managed for biomass in the U.S. Lake States.
- D'Amato, Anthony W.; Bradford, John B.; Fraver, Shawn; Palik, Brian J. 2011. Forest management for mitigation and adaptation: insights from long-term silvicultural experiments.
- Fraver, Shawn; Bradford, John B.; Palik, Brian J. 2011. Improving tree age estimates derived from increment cores: a case study of red pine.
- Saunders, Mike R.; Fraver, Shawn; Wagner, Robert G. 2011. Nutrient concentration of down woody debris in mixedwood forests in central Maine, USA.
- D'Amato, Anthony W.; Fraver, Shawn; Palik, Brian; Bradford, John B.; Patty, Laura. 2011. Singular and interactive effects of blowdown, salvage logging, and wildfire in sub-boreal pine systems.
- Jonsson, Mari; Fraver, Shawn; Jonsson, Bengt Gunnar. 2011. Spatio-temporal variation of coarse woody debris input in woodland key habitats in central Sweden.
- Fraver, Shawn; Jain, Terrie; Bradford, John B.; D'amato, Anthony W.; Kastendick, Doug; Palik, Brian; Shinneman, Doug; Stanovick, John. 2011. The efficacy of salvage logging in reducing subsequent fire severity in conifer-dominated forests of Minnesota, USA.
- Svoboda, Miroslav; Fraver, Shawn; Janda, Pavel; Bače, Radek; Zenáhlíková, Jitka. 2010. Natural development and regeneration of a Central European montane spruce forest.
- Fraver, Shawn; Jonsson, Bengt Gunnar; Jönsson, Mari; Esseen, Per-Anders. 2008. Demographics and disturbance history of a boreal old-growth Picea abies forest.
- Fraver, Shawn; White, Alan S. 2005. Disturbance History of Old-growth Red Spruce Stands in Northern Maine: Linking Tree-ring and Stem-mapped Data.
- Kenefic, Laura S.; White, Alan S.; Cutko, Andrew R.; Fraver, Shawn. 2005. Reference Stands for Silvicultural Research: A Maine Perspective.
- Kenefic, Laura S.; White, Alan S.; Fraver, Shawn. 2004. Reference conditions for silvicultural field studies in Maine: limitations and opportunities.
National Research Highlights
|Improving the Accuracy of Tree Ring Age Measurements|
NRS Scientist Shawn Fraver developed regression models to estimate tree age adjustments needed, depending on coring height and growth rate.