Scientists & Staff
Hao C. Tran
Since January 2005, Dr. Hao C. Tran has been an Assistant Station Director for the Pacific Southwest Research Station. In addition to many Headquarters functions dealing with the Forest Service leadership and relationship building with external partners, he has oversight of the Riverside Fire Lab, the Redding Silviculture Lab, and the Center for Urban Forest Research Center.
Prior to this assignment, Dr. Tran has done research on the use of forest and agricultural biomass for the production of ethanol as an alternate fuel. At the USDA Forest Products Laboratory in Madison, WI, he did research on ignition and flame spread in structure fires. His ignition work is a fundamental component for modeling ignition in an urban wildland interface fire hazard assessment model. Between 1992 and 2004, Hao held several science administrator assignments in the Washington Office where he was a program manager and budget coordinator for the Forest Products program in the Forest Products and Harvesting Research and the Staff Assistant to the Deputy Chief for R&D.
- University of California, Ph.D. Agricultural and Environmental Chemistry, 1986
- University of California, B.S. Wood Science and Technology, 1979
- Australian National University, Forestry Forestry, 1977
Featured Publications & Products
- Tran, Hao C.; White, Robert E. 1990. Heat release from wood wall assemblies using oxygen consumption method. Fire and polymers : hazards identification and prevention : proceedings of 197th national meeting of the American Chemical Society : 1989 April 9-14, Dallas, TX. Washington, DC: American Chemical Society, 1990. ACS symposium series ; 425.
Publications & Products
- White, R. H.; Dietenberger, M. A.; Tran, H.; Grexa, O.; Richardson, L.; Sumathipala, K.; Janssens, M. 1998. Comparison of test protocols for standard room/corner tests. Fire and materials `98 : 5th international conference, February 1998, San Antonio, TX, USA. London : Interscience Communications, 1998.:p. 77-88.
- Tran, H. C. 1994. Simulating wall and corner fire tests on wood products with the OSU room fire model. Fire and flammability of furnishings and contents of buildings. Philadelphia, PA : American Society for Testing and Materials, 1994. STP ; 1233.:p. 153-168.
- Tran, H. C.; White, R. H. 1992. Burning rate of solid wood measured in a heat release rate calorimeter. Fire and materials. Vol. 16 (1992). :p. -206 : ill.
- Janssens, M.; Tran, H. C. 1992. Data reduction of room tests for zone model validation. Journal of fire sciences. Vol. 10, no. 6 (Nov./Dec. 1992):p. 528-555 : ill.
- Tran, H. C.; Janssens, M. L. 1991. Wall and corner fire tests on selected wood products. Journal of fire sciences. Vol. 9 (Mar./Apr. 1991):p. -124.
- LeVan, S. L.; Tran, H. C. 1990. The role of boron in flame-retardant treatments. First International Conference on Wood Protection with Diffusible Preservatives : ... Nashville, Tennessee, November 28-30, 1990. Madison, WI : Forest Products Research Society, 1990.:p. 39-41 : ill.
- Tran, H. C.; Janssens, M. L. 1989. Room fire test for fire growth modeling : a sensitivity study. Journal of fire sciences. Vol. 7 (July/Aug. 1989):p. -236 : ill.