Scientists & Staff
Jessie A. Glaeser
Biological and Environmental Influences on Forest Health and Productivity
Research Plant Pathologist
One Gifford Pinchot Drive
Madison, WI 53726
Contact Jessie A. Glaeser
- Identification and biosystematics of polyporoid wood decay fungi.
- Development of new identification techniques for detection of the pathogen Heterobasidion annosum.
- Development of techniques that induce the formation of spalted wood to add value to lesser used hardwood species.
- Investigating species boundaries and evolutionary relationships in the white rot genus Trametes.
- The effect of climate change on the distribution of white-rot and brown-rot fungi.
Why This Research is Important
Wood decay fungi are extremely important in the forest. Some, like Heterobasidion annosum, are serious pathogens that kill trees, while others are saprotrophic, breaking down woody debris and returning carbon and nutrients to the soil. The identification of decay fungi is often difficult, especially among the polypores, which frequently do not have distinctive microscopic characteristics. Developing better tools for fungal identification will allow us to identify potentially invasive nonnative pathogens and assess the health of disturbed and nondisturbed forests through their fungal communities. The scientific development of techniques for the use of white rot fungi in the production of highly valued spalted wood will provide a market for lower valued hardwood species.
- Cornell University stationed with USDA-ARS, Fort Detrick, Frederick, MD., Post-doctoral research associate ,
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Ph.D. Plant Pathology., 1985
- Delaware Valley College of Science and Agriculture, Doylestown, PA., B.S. Agronomy., 1979
- Mycological Society of America
- American Phytopathological Society
- North American Mycological Society
- Wisconsin Mycological Society
- International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation Society
- Western International Forest Disease Working Committee
Featured Publications & Products
- Glaeser, Jessie A.; Nakasone, Karen K. 2010. Recent change in the nomenclature of Phellinus pini: What is Porodaedalea?.
- Glaeser, Jessie A.; Smith, Kevin T. 2010. Decay fungi of oaks and associated hardwoods for western arborists.
- Glaeser, Jessie A.; Smith, Kevin T. 2010. Decay fungi associated with oaks and other hardwoods in the western United States.
- Kliejunas, John T.; Geils, Brian W.; Glaeser, Jessie Micales; Goheen, Ellen Michaels; Hennon, Paul; Kim, Mee-Sook; Kope, Harry; Stone, Jeff; Sturrock, Rona; Frankel, Susan J. 2009. Review of literature on climate change and forest diseases of western North America.
- Winandy, Jerrold E.; Muehl, James H.; Glaeser, Jessie A.; Schmidt, Walter. 2007. Chicken feather fiber as an additive in MDF composites.
Publications & Products
- Smith, Kevin T.; Glaeser, Jessie A. 2013. Skeleton decay in red cedar.
- Glaeser, Jessie A. 2012. Online resources for the identification of North American wood decay fungi.
- Lindner, Daniel L.; Gargas, Andrea; Lorch, Jeffrey M.; Banik, Mark T.; Glaeser, Jessie A.; Kunz, Thomas H.; Blehert, David S. 2011. DNA-based detection of the fungal pathogen Geomyces destructans in soils from bat hibernacula.
- Kirker, Grant T.; Glaeser, Jessie; Lebow, Stan T.; Green III, Frederick; Clausen, Carol A. 2011. Physical deterioration of preservative treated poles and pilings exposed to salt water.
- Kliejunas, John T; Burdsall, Harold H.; DeNitto, Gregg A.; Eglitis, Andris; Haugen, Dennis A.; Haverty, Michael I.; Micales-Glaeser, Jessie A. 2006. Pest risk assessment of the importation into the United States of unprocessed Pinus logs and chips from Australia.
- Czederpiltz, D.L.L.; Wikler, K.; Radmacher, M.R.; Volk, T.J.; Hadar, Y.; Micales, J. 2004. Biodiversity of wood-inhabiting fungi in Israeli pine forests.
- Micales-Glaeser, Jessie A.; Lloyd, Jeffrey D.; Woods, Thomas L. 2004. Efficacy of didecyl dimethyl ammonium chloride (DDAC), disodium octaborate tetrahydrate (DOT), and chlorothalonil (CTL) against common mold fungi.
- Kliejunas, John T.; Burdsall, Harold H., Jr.; DeNitto, Gregg A.; Eglitis, Andris; Haugen, Dennis A.; Harverty, Michael I.; Micales, Jessie A.; Tkacz, Borys M.; Powell, Mark R. 2003. Pest risk assessment of the importation into the United States of unprocessed logs and chips of eighteen Eucalypt species from Australia..
- Winandy, Jerold E.; Muehl, James H.; Micales, Jessie A.; Raina, Ashok; Schmidt, Walter. 2003. Potential of chicken feather fibre in wood MDF composites.
- Micales, Jessie A. 2002. What do you need to know to get started with wood and fish waste composting?.
- Nicholls, David; Richard, Thomas; Micales, Jesse A. 2002. Wood and fish residuals composting in Alaska.
- Celimene, Catherine C.; Micales, Jessie A.; Ferge, Leslie; Young, Raymond A. 1999. Efficacy of pinosylvins against white-rot and brown-rot fungi.
National Research Highlights
|DNA Tool Detects White-Nose Syndrome Fungus in Bat Caves|
NRS scientists Daniel Lindner and Jessie Glaeser are collaborating with the USGS Wildlife Health Laboratory in Madison, WI, to characterize the ...
|Web-enabled Database for Center for Forest Mycology Research Expanded|
The culture collection and herbarium maintained by the Center of Forest Mycology Research (CFMR) in Madison, Wisconsin is one of the largest fun ...