Title: Operations Research Analyst
Unit: People and Their Environments: Social Science Supporting Natural Resource Management and Policy
Address: Northern Research Station
1992 Folwell Ave
St. Paul, MN 55108
E-mail: Contact Stephanie Snyder
Jump to Publications
- Johns Hopkins University, Ph.D. Systems Analysis for Public and Environmental Decision-Making, 1996.
- Johns Hopkins University, M.A. Systems Analysis for Public and Environmental Decision-Making, 1992.
- Boston University, B.A. Physical Geography, 1990.
Civic & Professional Affiliations
Society of American Foresters, Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS)
I develop optimization decision models that provide information useful to land managers in understanding alternatives, consequences, and tradeoffs associated with a range of land management decisions. The goal of my research is helping to facilitate more effective decision-making about how best to balance the host of environmental, social, and economic issues associated with natural resource planning, management, and decision-making. I have developed models for selecting habitat reserve sites, open space land acquisition, and scheduling timber harvests. I am currently developing new models for selecting grassland habitat reserve sites and open spaces in an urbanizing landscape, as well as starting a study to explore the utility of optimization models in designing ATV trail systems. I am also working on studies aimed at quantifying ecosystem services and values people hold for forest attributes.
Why is This Important
My research helps managers determine efficient strategies, informs them about the consequences of their choices, and identifies the trade-offs inherent in complex land use and management decision-making. With this information, managers can make more effective decisions about how best to balance a host of competing objectives, priorities and goals inherent in land management
I am very interested in conducting research aimed at identifying, quantifying, and estimating the values
associated with a range of different ecosystem services. I am most interested in understanding and quantifying the nonmarket values of forested ecosystems and then developing ways to incorporate this information into land management decision-making processes.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Stockmann, Keith D.; Morris, Gaylord E. 2012. An optimization modeling approach to awarding large fire support wildfire helicopter contracts from the US Forest Service. Forest Science. 58(2): 130-138.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Kilgore, Michael A.; Hudson, Rachel; Donnay, Jacob. 2007. Determinants of forest land prices in northern Minnesota: a hedonic pricing approach. Forest Science. 53(1): 25-36.
- Haight, Robert G.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Revelle, Charles S. 2005. Metropolitan open-space protection with uncertain site availability. Conservation Biology 19:327-337.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Haight, Robert G.; ReVelle, Charles S. 2004. A scenario optimization model for dynamic reserve site selection. Environmental Modeling and Assessment 9: 179?187, 2004.
- Kilgore, Michael A.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Block-Torgerson, Kayla; Taff, Steven J. 2013. Challenges in characterizing a parcelized forest landscape: why metric, scale and threshold matter. Landscape and Urban Planning. 110: 36-47.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Butler, Brett J. 2012. A national assessment of public recreational access on family forestlands in the United States. Journal of Forestry. 110(6): 318-327.
- Miller, Kristell A.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Kilgore, Michael A. 2012. An assessment of forest landowner interest in selling forest carbon credits in the Lake States, USA. Forest Policy and Economics. 25: 113-122.
- Becker, Dennis R.; Wilson, Grant L.; Snyder, Stephanie A. 2010. Private forest landowner attitudes toward off-highway vehicle access: A Minnesota case study. Northern Journal of Applied Forestry. 27(2): 62-67.
- Mundell, J.; Taff, S.J.; Kilgore, M.A.; Snyder, S.A. 2010. Using real estate records to assess forest land parcelization and development: A Minnesota case study. Landscape and Urban Planning. 94: 71-76.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Smail, Robert A. 2009. Are all-terrain vehicle riders willing to pay trail user fees to ride on public lands in the USA?. Tourism Economics. 15(2): 437-451.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Kilgore, Michael A.; Taff, Steven J.; Schertz, Joseph. 2009. Does forest land posted against trespass really mean no hunter access?. Human Dimensions of Wildlife. 14: 251-264.
- Miller, James R.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Skibbe, A.M.; Haight, Robert G. 2009. Prioritizing conservation targets in a rapidly urbanizing landscape. Landscape and Urban Planning. 93: 123-131.
- Toth, Sandor F.; Haight, Robert; Snyder, Stephanie A.; George, Sonney; Miller, James R.; Gregory, Mark S.; Skibbe, Adam M. 2009. Reserve selection with minimum contiguous area restrictions: An application to open space protection planning in suburban Chicago. Biological Conservation. 142(8): 1617-1627.
- Baker, Lawrence A.; Schussler, Johanna E.; Snyder, Stephanie A. 2008. Drivers of change for lakewater clarity. Lake and Reservoir Management. 24: 30-40.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Whitmore, Jay H.; Schneider, Ingrid E.; Becker, Dennis R. 2008. Ecological criteria, participant preferences and location models: A GIS approach toward ATV trail planning. Applied Geography. 28: 248-258.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Kilgore, Michael A.; Taff, Steven J.; Schertz, Joseph M. 2008. Estimating a family forest landowner's likelihood of posting against trespass. Northern Journal of Applied Forestry. 25(4): 180-185.
- Kilgore, Michael A.; Snyder, Stephanie; Taff, Steven; Schertz, Joseph. 2008. Family forest stewardship: do owners need a financial incentive?. Journal of Forestry. October/November: 357-362.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Kilgore, Michael A.; Hudson, Rachel; Donnay, Jacob. 2008. Influence of purchaser perceptions and intentions on price for forest land parcels: a hedonic pricing approach. Journal of Forest Economics. 14: 47-72.
- Marianov, Vladimir; ReVelle, Charles; Snyder, Stephanie. 2008. Selecting compact habitat reserves for species with differential habitat size needs. Computers & Operations. 35: 475-487.
- Kilgore, Michael A.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Schertz, Joesph M.; Taff, Steven J. 2008. The cost of acquiring public hunting access on family forests lands. Human Dimensions of Wildlife. 13: 175-186.
- Kilgore, Michael A.; Snyder, Stephanie A.; Schertz, Joseph; Taff, Steven J. 2008. What does it take to get family forest owners to enroll in a forest stewardship-type program?. Forest Policy and Economics. 10: 507-514.
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Miller, James R.; Skibbe, Adam M.; Haight, Robert G. 2007. Habitat acquisition strategies for grassland birds in an urbanizing landscape. Environmental Management. 40: 981-992.
- Kramer, Daniel Boyd; Polasky, Stephen; Starfield, Anthony; Palik, Brian; Westphal, Lynn; Snyder, Stephanie; Jakes, Pamela; Hudson, Rachel; Gustafson, Eric. 2006. A Comparison of Alternative Strategies for Cost-Effective Water Quality Management in Lakes. Environmental Management Vol. 38, No. 3, pp. 411-425
- Stone, Brian; Obermann, William; Snyder, Stephanie. 2005. A new method for estimating and projecting vehicle miles of travel--linkages to landscape change and ozone impacts to northern forests.. Gen. Tech. Rep. NC-253. St. Paul, MN: U.S.
Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station. 24 p.
- Williams, Justin C.; Snyder, Stephanie A. 2005. Restoring habitat corridors in fragmented landscapes using optimization and percolation models. Environmental Modeling and Assessment (2005) 10: 239-250
- Snyder, Stephanie; ReVelle, Charles; Haight, Robert. 2004. One- and two-objective approaches to an area-constrained habitat reserve site selection problem. Biological Conservation 119 (2004) 565?574
- Marianov, Vladimir; Snyder, Stephanie ; ReVelle, Charles. 2004. Trading off species protection and timber production in forests managed for multiple objectives. Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design 2004, volume 31, pages 847-862
- Haight, Robert G.; Revelle, Charles S.; Snyder, Stephanie A. 2000. An Integer Optimization Approch To A Probabilistic Reserve Site Selection Problem. INFORMS. Vol. 48 no. 5.:p. 697-708. (2000)
- Snyder, Stephanie A.; Tyrrell, Lucy E.; Haight, Robert G. 1999. An optimization approach to selecting research natural areas in National Forests. Forest science. Vol. 45, no. 3 (Aug. 1999).:p. 458-469 : ill., maps.