Scientists & Staff
Charles H. Michler
Hardwood Tree Improvement and Regeneration Center
E-mail: Contact Charles H. Michler
Hardwood Tree Improvement & Regeneration Center, 715 W. State Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2061
- Development of a research program for black walnut, black cherry, northern red oak, and other hardwood species that will increase productivity through improvement of growth, form, wood quality, herbicide resistance, and resistance to abiotic and biotic stressors
- Development of genetic maps and molecular markers
- Identification of functional genes and determination of their function
- Development of tissue culture and transgenic technologies
- Development of clonal propagation technologies
- Development of advanced trellised seed orchards and seed handling technologies
- Research and development of methods for production of high-quality nursery seedling stock
- Development and testing of plantation establishment regimes for hardwoods
- Development of best management practices for maintaining genetic quality and diversity of hardwood forests
- Development of restoration techniques for high-graded hardwood stands
We are moving toward incorporating our current research into a forest sustainability research program at the landscape level that would include regeneration, water quality, and wildlife considerations.
Why This Research is Important
We need to improve the production of trees, and allow private landowners to sustain higher productivity on less land. Unfortunately, the region has an annual hardwood seedling production shortage of 25-50 million; consequently, few trees are produced for plantation forestry in the region. Private forest-land is being lost to development at an alarming rate. Our hardwood tree improvement efforts will lead to production of over 50% improved trees in the region, and allow private landowners to sustain higher productivity on less land.
- Ohio State University, Ph.D. Horticulture/Physiology/Biochemistry, 1985
- Ohio State University, M.S. Horticulture/Physiology/Biochemistry, 1981
- Ohio State University, B.S. Landscape Horticulture/Architecture, 1978
- International Association of Plant Tissue Culture
- Walnut Council
- Indiana Forestry Woodland Owners Association
- Indiana Hardwood Lumbermen's Association
- National Hardwood Lumber Association
Featured Publications & Products
- Pijut, Paula M.; Woeste, Keith E.; Michler, Charles H. 2011. Promotion of adventitious root formation of difficult-to-root hardwood tree species.
- Pijut, Paula M.; Lawson, Shaneka S.; Michler, Charles H. 2011. Biotechnological efforts for preserving and enhancing temperate hardwood tree biodiversity, health, and productivity.
- Michler, Charles H.; Ginzel, Matthew D., eds. 2010. Proceedings of symposium on ash in North America.
- Jacobs, Douglass F.; Michler, Charles H., eds. 2008. Proceedings, 16th central hardwood forest conference.
- Michler, Charles H.; Woeste, Keith E.; Pijut, Paula M. 2007. Black Walnut.
Publications & Products
- Lawson, Shaneka S.; Pijut, Paula M.; Michler, Charles H. 2014. Comparison of arabidopsis stomatal density mutants indicates variation in water stress responses and potential epistatic effects.
- Lawson, Shaneka S.; Michler, Charles H. 2014. Overexpression of AtSTO1 leads to improved salt tolerance in Populus tremula × P. alba.
- Lawson, Shaneka S.; Pijut, Paula M.; Michler, Charles H. 2014. The cloning and characterization of a poplar stomatal density gene.
- Beheler, Brian D.; Michler, Charles H. 2013. Herbicide practices in hardwood plantings.
- Van Sambeek, J.W.; Jackson, Elizabeth A.; Coggeshall, Mark V.; Thomas, Andrew L.; Michler, Charles H. eds. 2013. Managing fine hardwoods after a half century of research: Proceedings of the Seventh Walnut Council Research Symposium.
- Lawson, Shaneka S.; Pijut, Paula M.; Michler, Charles H. 2013. Species selection in hardwoods research: variations in baseline physiological responses of select temperate hardwood tree species.
- Swihart, Robert K.; Saunders, Michael R.; Kalb, Rebecca A.; Haulton, G. Scott; Michler, Charles H., eds. 2013. The Hardwood Ecosystem Experiment: a framework for studying responses to forest management.
- Espinosa, Ana Carolina; Pijut, Paula M.; Michler, Charles H. 2006. Adventitious shoot regeneration and rooting of Prunus serotina in vitro cultures.
- Michler, C. H.; Meilan, R.; Woeste, K. E.; Pijut, P. M.; Jacobs, D.; Aldrich, P.; Glaubitz, J. 2005. Hardwood genetics and tree improvement - A Midwest USA perspective.
- Michler, C.H.; Pijut, P.M.; Jacobs, D.F.; Meilan, R.; Woeste, K.E.; Ostry, M.E. 2005. Improving disease resistance of butternut (Juglans cinerea), a threatened fine hardwood: a case of single-tree selection through genetic improvement and deployment.
- Weigel, D.R.; Van Sambeek, J.W.; Michler, C.H., eds. 2005. Ninth workshop on seedling physiology and growth problems in oak plantings (abstracts).
- Michler, C. H.; Pijut, P.M.; Van Sambeek, J.; Coggeshall, M.; Seifert, J.; Woeste, K.; Overton, R.; Ponder, F., Jr., eds. 2004. Black walnut in a new century, proceedings of the 6th Walnut Council research symposium; 2004 July 25-28; Lafayette, IN..
- Bosela, Michael J.; Smagh, Gurpreet S.; Michler, Charles H. 2004. Genetic transformation of black walnut (Juglans nigra).
- Aldrich, P. R.; Jagtap, M.; Michler, C. H.; Romero-Severson, J. 2003. Amplification of North American Red Oak Microsatellite Markers in European White Oaks and Chinese Chestnut.
- Romero-Severson, Jeanne; Aldrich, Preston; Feng, Yi; Sun, Weilin; Michler, Charles. 2003. Chloroplast DNA variation of northern red oak.
- Michler, Charles H.; Bosela, Michael J.; Pijut, Paula M.; Woeste, Keith E. 2003. The Hardwood Tree Improvement and Regeneration Center: its strategic plans for sustaining the hardwood resource.
- Aldrich, Preston R.; Parker, George R.; Michler, Charles H.; Romero-Severson, Jeanne. 2003. Whole-tree silvic identifications and the microsatellite genetic structure of a red oak species complex in an Indiana old-growth forest.
- Aldrich, Preston R.; Michler, Charles H.; Sun, Weilin; Romero-Severson, Jeanne. 2002. Microsatellite markers for northern red oak (Fagaceae: Quercus rubra).
- Michler, Charles H.; Woeste, Keith E. 2002. Strategic plans for the Hardwood Tree Improvement and Regeneration Center.
- Michler, Charles H. 1999. Application of Advanced Technologies for Improvement of Hardwood Forests.
- Wu, Haiguo; Michler, Charles H.; LaRussa, Liborio; Davis, John M. 1999. The pine Pschi4 promoter directs wound-induced transcription.
- Donahue, Raymond A.; Davis, Tim D.; Michler, Charles H.; Riemenschneider, Don E.; Carter, Doug R.; Marquardt, Paula E.; Sankhla , Daksha; Sankhla , Narendra; Haissig, Bruce E.; Isebrands, J. G. . 1994. Growth, photosynthesis, and herbicide tolerance of genetically modified hybrid poplar.
- Ostry, Michael E.; Hackett, Ronald L.; Michler, Charles H.; Serres, R.; McCown, B. 1994. Influence of regeneration method and tissue source on the frequency of somatic variation in Populus to infection by Septoria musiva.
- Pevalek-Kozlina, Branka; Michler, Charles H.; Jelaska , Sibila. 1994. Microclonal Multipication of Wild Cherry (Prunus Avium L.) from Shoot Tips and Root Sucker Buds.
- Michler, Charles H.; Becwar, Michael R.; Cullen, Daniel; Nance, Warren L.; Sederoff, Ronald R.; Silvicek, James M. 1994. Proceedings of papers presented at the 2nd international symposium on applications of biotechnology to tree culture, protection, and utilization..
National Research Highlights
|Blight Resistant Seeds May Be Key to Comeback for American Chestnut Tree|
Restoration plantings poise this once mighty tree species for a comeback