Scientists & Staff
Paul H. Gobster
People and Their Environments: Social Science Supporting Natural Resource Management and Policy
E-mail: Contact Paul H. Gobster
Research Social Scientist
1033 University Place, Suite 360
Evanston, IL 60201-3172
Phone: 847-866-9311 x16
My research broadly addresses the question: How can we design, plan for, and manage landscapes to sustain mutually beneficial relationships between people and ecological systems? The context for much of my work has been park and forest landscapes in urban settings. I am focusing on three interrelated topic areas:
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, Ph.D. Land Resources, 1987
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, M.S. Landscape Architecture, 1983
- University of Wisconsin-Green Bay, B.S. Regional Analysis, 1978
- Landscape and Urban Planning, Editor-In-Chief (2010 - Current)
- Environmental Design Research Association, Member (2008 - Current)
- Natural Areas Association, Member (2008 - Current)
- International Association for Society and Natural Resources, Member (2007 - Current)
- Environment and Behavior, Journal Editorial Board Member (2006 - Current)
- Environmental Policy and Culture Program, Northwestern University, Adjunct Lecturer (2006 - Current)
- Ecological Restoration, Journal Editorial Board Member (2000 - Current)
- Society for Ecological Restoration International, Member (2000 - Current)
- American Society of Landscape Architects (Fellow), Member (1987 - Current)
Publications & Products
- Gobster, Paul H. 2014. (Text) Mining the LANDscape: Themes and Trends over 40 years of Landscape and Urban Planning.
- Gobster, Paul H. 2014. Re-wilding Europe's traditional agricultural landscapes: Values and the link between science and practice.
- Westphal, Lynne M.; Watkins, Cristy; Gobster, Paul H.; Heneghan, Liam; Ross, Kristen; Ross, Laurel; Tudor, Madeleine; Wali, Alaka; Wise, David H.; Vining, Joanne; Zellner, Moira. 2014. Social Science Methods Used in the RESTORE Project.
- Gobster, Paul H. 2012. Alternative approaches to urban natural areas restoration: integrating social and environmental goals.
- Gobster, Paul H.; Xiang, Wei-Ning. 2012. Editorial: A revised aims and scope for Landscape and Urban Planning: an international journal of landscape and design.
- Gobster, Paul H.; Xiang, Wei-Ning. 2012. Editorial: Mapping the Intellectual Landscape of Landscape and Urban Planning.
- Gobster, Paul H.; Xiang, Wei-Ning. 2012. Editorial: Progress and prospects.
- Gobster, Paul H.; Xiang, Wei-Ning. 2012. Editorial: What do we mean by "landscape"?.
- Gobster, Paul H. 2011. Appreciating urban wildscapes: Towards a natural history of unnatural places. Chapter 2.
- Gobster, Paul H. 2011. Factors affecting people's response to invasive species management.
- Gobster, Paul H. 2011. Landscape and urban planning at 100: Looking back moving forward.
- Gobster, Paul H.; Nassauer, Joan Iverson; Nadenicek, Daniel J. 2010. Landscape Journal and scholarship in landscape architecture: the next 25 years.
- Gobster, Paul H.; Buchner, David M. 2010. Healthy outdoor recreation: An integrated approach to linking physical activity with wellness goals. Chapter 38.
- Westphal, Lynne M.; Gobster, Paul H.; Gross, Matthias. 2010. Models for renaturing brownfield areas [Chapter 19].
- Gobster, Paul H. 2010. Models for urban forest restoration: Human and environmental values.
- Jorgensen, Anna; Gobster, Paul H. 2010. Shades of green: Measuring the ecology of urban green space in the context of human health and well-being.
- Gobster, Paul H. 2010. Urban ecological restoration (Introduction to a special theme issue).
- Haight, Robert G.; Gobster, Paul H. 2009. Social and economic considerations for planning wildlife conservation in large landscapes.
- Gobster, Paul H. 2008. Yellowstone Hotspot. Reflections on scenic beauty, ecology, and the aesthetic experience of landscape.
- Gobster, Paul H. 2007. Comment on "Ethnicity as a variable in leisure research" by Li et al..
- Wagner, Mimi M.; Gobster, Paul H. 2007. Interpreting landscape change: measured biophysical change and surrounding social context.
- Gobster, Paul H. 2007. Models for urban forest restoration: human and environmental values.
- Buchner, David M.; Gobster, Paul H. 2007. Promoting active visits to parks: models and strategies for transdisciplinary collaboration.
- Gobster, Paul H.; Nassauer, Joan I.; Daniel, Terry C.; Fry, Gary. 2007. The shared landscape: what does aesthetics have to do with ecology?.
- Gobster, Paul H. 2007. Urban park restoration and the "museumification" of nature.
- Gobster, Paul H. 2005. Invasive Species as Ecological Threat: Is Restoration an Alternative to Fear-based Resource Management?.
- Gobster, Paul H. 2005. Recreation and leisure research from an active living perspective: taking a second look at urban trail use data.
- Gobster, Paul H. 2004. An Active Living Perspective on Recreation Research: Examples of Urban Trail Use and Suggestions for Further Involvement.
- Gobster, Paul H.; Haight, Robert G. 2004. From landscapes to lots: understanding and managing Midwestern landscape change..
- Gobster, Paul H.; Rickenbach, Mark G. 2004. Private forestland parcelization and development in Wisconsin's Northwoods: perceptions of resource-oriented stakeholders.
- Gobster, Paul H.; Westpahl, Lynne M. 2004. The human dimensions of urban greenways: planning for recreation and related experiences.
- Gobster, Paul H.; Stewart, Susan I.; Bengston, David N. 2004. The social aspects of landscape change: protecting open space under the pressure of development.
- Ruliffson, Jane A.; Haight, Robert G.; Gobster, Paul H.; Homans, Frances R. 2003. Metropolitan natural area protection to maximize public access and species representation.
- Rickenbach, Mark G.; Gobster, Paul H. 2003. Stakeholders' Perceptions of Parcelization in Wisconsin's Northwoods.
- Gobster, Paul H. 2002. Ervin Zube and landscape architecture.
- Whitcomb, Lisa; Parker, Dennis; Carr, Bob; Gobster, Paul; Schroeder, Herb. 2002. Human preference for ecological units: patterns of dispersed campsites within landtype associations on the Chippewa National Forest.
- Gobster, Paul H. 2002. Managing urban parks for a racially and ethnically diverse clientele.
- Ruliffson, Jane A.; Gobster, Paul H.; Haight, Robert G.; Homans, Francis R. 2002. Niches in the urban forest: Organizations and their role in acquiring metropolitan open space..
- Ribe, Robert G.; Armstrong, Edward T.; Gobster, Paul H. 2002. Scenic Vistas and the Changing Policy Landscape: Visualizing and Testing the Role of Visual Resources in Ecosystem Management.
- Gobster, Paul H. 2001. Forests and landscapes: linking ecology, sustainability and aesthetics.
- Gobster, Paul H. 2001. Human dimensions of early successional landscapes in the eastern United States.
- Gobster, Paul H. 2001. Neighbourhood-open space relationships in metropolitan planning: a look across four scales of concern.
- Gobster, Paul H.; Hull, R. Bruce. 2001. Restoring nature: continuing the conversation.
- Gobster, Paul H. 2001. Visions of nature: conflict and compatibility.
- Gobster, Paul H.; Haight, Robert G.; Shriner, David S. 2000. Integrated Research on Midwestern Landscape Change: A Program Description and Progress Report.
- Gobster, Paul H.; Haight, Robert G.; Shriner, Dave. 2000. Landscape Change in the Midwest: An Integrated Research and Development Program.
- Gobster, Paul H.; Barro, Susan C. 2000. Negotiating nature: Making Restoration Happen In An Urban Park Context.
- Gobster, Paul H. 2000. Restoring Nature: Human Actions, Interactions and reactions.
- Hull, Bruce R.; Gobster, Paul H. 2000. Restoring forest ecosystems: the human dimension.
- Gobster, Paul H.; Schmidt, Thomas L. 2000. The Use of Amenity Indicators in Anticipating Private Forestland Parcelization: A Look at the Lake States' Northwoods.
- Gobster, Paul H. 1999. An ecological aesthetic for forest landscape management.
- Gobster, Paul H.; Hull, Bruce. 1999. The restoration and management of nature: A conference and forthcoming book explore restoration from the perspectives of the social science and humanities.
- Zhang, Tingwei; Gobster, Paul H. 1998. Leisure preferences and open space needs in an.
- Gobster, P. H.; Westphal, L. M. 1998. People and the River: Perception and Use of Chicago Waterways for Recreation..
- Gobster, Paul H.; Westphal, Lynne M. 1998. People and the river: perception and use of Chicago waterways for recreation..
- Gobster, Paul H. 1998. Urban parks as green walls or green magnets? Interracial relations in neighborhood boundary parks.
- Gobster, Paul H. 1997. The Chicago wilderness and its critics: the other side: a survey of arguments.
- Gobster, Paul H. 1996. Forest aesthetics, biodiversity, and the perceived appropriateness of ecosystem management practices.
- Gobster, Paul H.; Dickhut, Kathleen E. 1995. Exploring interspace: open space opportunities in dense urban areas.
- Gobster, Paul H. 1993. Managing urban and high-use recreation settings..
- Schroeder, Herbert .; Gobster, Paul H.; Frid, Ross. 1993. Visual quality of human-made clearings in central Michigan conifers..
- Dwyer, John F.; Gobster, Paul H. 1992. Black/white outdoor recreation preferences and participation: Illinois State Parks.
- Dwyer, John F.; Schroeder, Herbert W.; Gobster, Paul H. 1991. Central hardwood forest resources: a social science perspective.
- Dwyer, John F.; Schroeder, Herbert W.; Gobster, Paul H. 1991. The significance of urban trees and forests: toward a deeper understanding of values.
- Chenoweth, Richard E.; Gobster, Paul H. 1990. The nature and ecology of aesthetic experiences in the landscape.
National Research Highlights
|Models for Ecological Restoration in Urban Areas: Lessons From the USA and Europe|
NRS researchers Paul Gobster and Lynne Westphal and a German colleague, Matthias Gross, analyzed urban restoration projects and developed severa ...
|Perceptions of Crime and its Impacts on the Use of Urban Parks by Latino Residents|
NRS scientist Paul Gobster examined how the perceptions of Latino residents in two inner-city Chicago neighborhoods affected their use of outdoo ...