While it is clear that the global climate system is warming, there are significant uncertainties about how and to what extent social, economic, and ecological systems will be impacted. As the climate changes, land management pressures will increase as forests are managed for various reasons: to store carbon, provide goods and services, contribute to the economy, support healthy plant and animal communities, or are cleared for other land uses. A cooperative response by forest research and land management organizations is required to understand and manage forests in the context of climate change.
The Northern Institute of Applied Climate Science (NIACS) has been designed as a collaborative effort among the Forest Service, universities, and forest industry to provide information on managing forests for climate change adaptation, enhanced carbon sequestration, and sustainable production of bioenergy and materials. As a regional, multi-institutional entity, NIACS builds partnerships, facilitates research, and synthesizes information to bridge the gap between carbon and climate science research and the information and management needs of land owners and managers, policymakers, and members of the public.
- Synthesis products on climate change adaptation, carbon cycle science and management, and bioenergy production.
- Seminars, workshops, webinars, and educational materials about climate change science, forest response, and management strategies for adaptation, mitigation, and carbon cycle science for land managers in the region.
- Enhanced communication and collaboration between land managers, policy-makers, and scientists.
NIACS works with partners to ensure that our information and products effectively serve the needs of land managers and other stakeholders (Programmatic contacts are listed here).
- U.S. Forest Service Northern Research Station (NRS)
- U.S. Forest Service Northeastern Area State and Private Forestry
- U.S. Forest Service Eastern Region
- Michigan Technological University (MTU)
- Trust for Public Land (TPL)
- National Council for Air and Stream Improvement (NCASI)
In 2010, the Northern Institute of Applied Carbon Science became the Northern Institute of Applied Climate Science in order to reflect the broader application of climate and carbon science.
Last Modified: 11/07/2014