Vital Statistics for Northern Research Station
- 476 employees, including 134 scientists
- 20 field locations, including Baltimore, Chicago
(Evanston), Philadelphia, and New York City
- 13 research work units
- 22 Official and 2 Cooperating Experimental Forests encompassing a range of climate, soil, and vegetation types
- Forest inventory and monitoring for 24 states
- Only Forest Service primary quarantine
laboratory in the continental U.S. used for
studying invasive species.
- Only experimental forest principally used for
peatland research (Marcell Experimental Forest)
- A below-ground observatory (rhizotron) for
studying undisturbed forest soils and belowground
storage of carbon and mesocosm to allow for replicated and controlled tests of the effects of climate change scenarios on ecosystem function.
- 2 Long-term Ecological Research (LTER) sites, (Baltimore Ecosystem Study and Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest) part of the National Science Foundation network for long-term, comparative study of ecosystems
- Longest running experiments in forest
For more information contact
Debra J.S. Dietzman
Director, Communications & Science Delivery
USDA Forest Service - Northern Research Station
1992 Folwell Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55108
Last Modified: 07/01/2013